• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Shipping a gun

Not in all states
According to BATF rules-You CAN ship directly to the purchaser if it is Intrastate and a Long Gun. I have done this many times but I ask for a copy of their Carry Permit or Permit to Purchase a Handgun. I won't ship if they don't have this. I also get a copy of their DL and do a Bill of Sale. You can also ship directly Interstate if Long Gun is over a certain age. Hope this helps.
States can put more restrictions over and above the feds do

So how does every one ship guns? Put it in the original box and take it FFL dealer and pay them to ship it? Sorry just have a gun I want to sell but don't want to post it until I'm clear on a shipping procedure. I live in Texas and have FFL dealers within a 15 mile radius

For my protection, here in Rhode Island, I always package my rifle in a box with the rifle heavily bubble wrapped and bring it to my FFL here in Rhode Island to ship to another FFL, checked on-line, to be shipped. Some dealers/companies, like Timney require a plastic case, but the cardboard box works for me and it's less shipping costs. It costs me $25.00 for the FFL to ship the rifle, but.....there's an "in-and-out" record of me bringing the rifle to the FFL dealer and then an FFL dealer's record of the rifle being shipped to the out of state dealer. If for whatever reason this rifle/firearm shows up somewhere that it shouldn't I have a record through my FFL that I brought it to a licensed federal firearms dealer, FFL, and that dealer shipped that rifle, logged into the FFL's books, to another FFL. I don't know all of the laws for every state, however I do know that by following this procedure there's going to be a record that I shipped that firearm according to federal laws/standards. For me shipping any other way is risky as these things come back and bite you in the --s years after when you've forgotten about them. I use the same FFL for all of my transactions, I've seen his records that go back 25+ years. I've been in his shop where ATF has called asking him about the sale of a particular firearm that was of interest to them, he's found the original firearm's sales slip.

When we shipped guns to armorers to have work done it was always in a plain brown box and no mention of a firearm we would the name of the armorer and his address not the name of the company not all people are honest when some see the
F-word as in Firearm they seem to get lost some steal some don't like guns or gun owners. But like I said this was for service not sale

Yes pack it well.
I ordered a Savage F/class rifle from a stocking dealer, it is a long heavy gun.
When I went to the dealer to pick it up, the barrel was sticking out of the tape on the end of the box. The tape was there because it had gone through before.