• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Shipping a gun

Aaronfields

So how does every one ship guns? Put it in the original box and take it FFL dealer and pay them to ship it? Sorry just have a gun I want to sell but don't want to post it until I'm clear on a shipping procedure. I live in Texas and have FFL dealers within a 15 mile radius

You as an individual can ship it to a dealer the buyer chooses with a copy of your drivers license, then the individual who bought it has to go to the dealer you sent it to and do the background check. You cannot ship direct to a person only a FFL dealer.

yes buy a cheap plastic plano case or if you have the original box put the gun in it or a hard plastic case then find an outer box that it will fit in and tape it up and ship it, most gun shops have the outer boxes that rifles come in

I as a FFL will receive from a private seller I need a Bill of sale and a copy of your State ID/DL. Then I can hand it over to the buyer with a Background check.
Or here in Kentucky a copy of your CDWL and DL is all.. no Call

If you use the original box the rifle came in, you'll have to make sure there's no mention of firearm or anything. So as someone stated, best to put it in another box. And pay the extra few bucks to get signature required upon delivery, that way you know it was delivered and signed for, not left on the doorstep if FFL isn't a stand alone business (my FFL does it out of his house).

And get a copy of the FFL you're sending it to, verify it's valid and shipping address.

I've received them in a plastic case, and not in a plastic case.

IF you use a plastic case, put it inside an unmarked cardboard box.
Wrap the rifle in bubble wrap inside the case. If you don't, it WILL slide around on the cheap foam inside the case, and may break through the end of the case and the cardboard. Ask how I know... :rolleyes: When the rifle barrel is sticking out the end of the plastic case and cardboard box it's easy to guess what is inside.

A long cardboard box with the rifle fully wrapped and padded with bubble wrap works best in my experience.

IF you have the original box, use that to ship it BUT still wrap it in bubble wrap, and put it inside another box. The original boxes can still allow the rifle to move.

Couple words of caution.

1. With UPS and FEDEX you are not buying insurance. You are buying additional declared value. Read the receipts. There is a difference.

2. Both have explicit written instructions on how to package firearms. 2" solid foam all the way around is the norm. You need to follow their instructions. They have grounds to deny if you do not follow the requirements.

3. Both consider manufacturers original shipping boxes as "one time use" only.

4. If you use a 3rd party shipper such as a Mail Box, they have the claim not you!! You have to give all your documentation to them and let them file the claim and hopefully they are as passionate about your money as you are. Again, read the receipt they give you.

5. IF there is damage, have the receiver maintain all original shipping boxes, wrapping, foam etc and ask the shipper in writing (UPS/FEDEX/USPS) to go see the packaging. Have the receiver take plenty of pics and send them to you. Hopefully, the receiver had the delivery person note damage etc at time of delivery.

6. All will want you to "prove" current value and they will try to depreciate that. You must have documentation of current replacement value.

7. They will routinely deny the claim saying you failed do to something they required or at best offer maybe 25% of declared value. Here is how to respond again in writing and this is why they only have $100 standard insurance and require the additional declared value be purchase.

Liability of shippers/carriers is controlled by the Carmack Amendment of 1906 to the Interstate Commerce Act which "makes carriers liable for the full actual loss, damage, or injury*** caused by them to property they transport and declares unlawful and void any contract, regulation or tariff, or other means of limiting liability. "

The statute codifies that a carrier is liable for damage to goods transported UNLESS it can show the damage was cause by one of the following exceptions allowed by law:

a. the act of God,
b. public enemy
c. the act of the shipper himself
d. Public Authority
e. the inherent vice or nature of the goods.

Those are the ONLY exceptions for the carrier. Since they cannot show any of those they are on the hook.

By the way, this was specifically upheld the US Supreme Court ruling in Missouri Pacific Railroad vs. Elmore & Stahl, (1964).. The above comments were taken from the Supreme Court decision.

"You can pay the claim or I will file a small claims case and then you will pay the claim, and my attorney fees and filing charges etc." (Most small claims courts do not require an attorney and pretty easy filing with minimal costs to file and have sheriff deliver claim to the shipper (UPS/FEDEX and 3rd party shipper etc.)

NOTE: Copy this statement and save it for later.

8. Depending on how you shipped it, if they deny the claim you can sue either the shipper or 3rd party in small claims court and win with above statement and copy of the US Supreme Court decision which can be downloaded. That makes your case simple normally as they cannot fight a supreme court decision. Just give the judge a copy of the decision to back up your claim.

9. Note also that 3rd party shippers often do not buy additional declared value from the shipper (UPS/FEDEX). They carry private insurance that makes filing a claim even harder. Then you are suing the shipping company, the 3rd party shipper and his insurance so you have 3 defendants.

Been there and done that.

Thanks for all the advice and everyone speaking on this matter. Seems a little complicated and drawn out process lol

it's not, pack it well so it doesn't move around in the box/case. tape it well, and let her go.

USPS is the simplest if you ask me and usually cheapest.

According to BATF rules-You CAN ship directly to the purchaser if it is Intrastate and a Long Gun. I have done this many times but I ask for a copy of their Carry Permit or Permit to Purchase a Handgun. I won't ship if they don't have this. I also get a copy of their DL and do a Bill of Sale. You can also ship directly Interstate if Long Gun is over a certain age. Hope this helps.

all firearms except for curio and relics, have to go through an FFL dealer and a background check form 4473 done, if a person has a concealed permit for that state he is purchasing the gun in he still fills out the 4473 but no phone call has to be made for NICS . A person can ship their firearm to a authorized manufacture or repair center and the repair center can ship it back directly to the individual but all purchases must go to and through an FFL

Recent Posts