SHERMAN MEGA LINE

I have a real world question. First, I have not read a lot about testing. I like to shoot and don't know much beyond that. I remember P.O. Ackley working up a maximum load in a Weatherby Mark V. He put the same load in a Mouser and it blew up the rifle. So he tried the same load in the Weatherby again and again it was "fine". So he tried it again in a different Mouser and again it was destroyed.

Would you safety guys say the load was unsafe in the Weatherby? Where did the 65,000 number come from? Was it established to be safe in a Mouser, thus being "safe" in all rifles?
By Mauser Im assuming PO was using military M98's and the metals and heat treatments are not what they are now and would need to be loaded at or below saami pressures for safety. If you look at factory 7mm mauser ammo they are all loaded at very low velocities - pressures for this reason. If your were to build a 7 mauser on another receiver you could easily get better performance.

A 83 grain H20 case is NOT going to push 195s 3050 at a safe pressure in a 26" barrel period. It amazes me how many of you are so close to loosing fingers, eyes, or your life and you have NO CLUE!

Some of these pressures are insane. It the field one extra screw up, dirt, etc and BOOM!
No clue? What forum do you think you're "contributing" on man? This is long range hunting, where nearly every member that cares to be is slaved by the pursuit of #1 accuracy, and a distant #2, speed. Everything that follows flows from those two pursuits. Where is all this fear-based conjecture coming from @rfurman24 ? I know not ONE person, personally, on this forum, or any other in the art and science of LR shooting and hunting that doesn't FIRST identify the practical-max load ceiling for their rifle before conducting meaningful accuracy load development. That's the process. What else is there to concern yourself after that? Once we identify a hazard, do you believe we ignore it? Do you think we simply take a WAG-approach to this long range pursuit with no systematic process? Do you think of Rich Sherman @elkaholic and ALL his investments into this as that kind of man? Think again. And thank you for your concern.

I for one encourage the innovation, @elkaholic - local home grown idaho based business doing well - what's not to like?

I often wonder though, why not just take an extremely small percentage of net income to purchase the appropriate pressure testing equipment? This would put all the naysayers to bed.
I agree, but, close inspection of my brass after every firing while carefully reaching for my practical-max tells me what I'm concerning myself with, and appeasing naysaters isn't on that list. And the problem with naysayers isn't that they need to be put to bed, but rather they never have seemed to wake up in the first place.

@GREATSCOTT! I agree most reloaders can determine pressure themselves - however, if these claims proceed to be true. He would not only put the naysayers to bed - his customer base would GROW exponentially because he was concrete data to support the claims. Not just hearsay.
I would assume Rich Sherman's customer base has grown to exactly what he can successfully manage. He's a solid businessman with a good grasp on reality.

I often wonder though, why not just take an extremely small percentage of net income to purchase the appropriate pressure testing equipment?
When you start down that rabbit hole, you quickly learn it is not as simple as all that. From the lab standpoint, it is difficult to quantify which pressure testing methods and equipment are going to be accepted.

Its easy enough to "buy something and show some numbers" but the investment in time and equipment to validate those numbers is an entirely other matter.

So do you throw a strain gauge on the barrel and call it a day? Do you drill for pressure ports in the chamber and barrel and deal with the eccentricities that come with it? That's very dependent on the brass used. It's not so simple a task, once you get into trying to do it right.

@GREATSCOTT! I agree most reloaders can determine pressure themselves - however, if these claims proceed to be true. He would not only put the naysayers to bed - his customer base would GROW exponentially because he was concrete data to support the claims. Not just hearsay.
Agreed. Everthing is 100% hearsay until data is developed. As my instructor always said; "When the data drops, the BS stops."

I for one encourage the innovation, @elkaholic - local home grown idaho based business doing well - what's not to like?

I often wonder though, why not just take an extremely small percentage of net income to purchase the appropriate pressure testing equipment? This would put all the naysayhistory

When you start down that rabbit hole, you quickly learn it is not as simple as all that. From the lab standpoint, it is difficult to quantify which pressure testing methods and equipment are going to be accepted.

Its easy enough to "buy something and show some numbers" but the investment in time and equipment to validate those numbers is an entirely other matter.

So do you throw a strain gauge on the barrel and call it a day? Do you drill for pressure ports in the chamber and barrel and deal with the eccentricities that come with it? That's very dependent on the brass used. It's not so simple a task, once you get into trying to do it right.
From a liability standpoint a simple strain gauge set up would be sufficient and is not expensive.

I use the most current Pressure Trace ll system, it's not prohibitively expensive and no drilling is required

This system will definitely open your eyes (in shock, lol) to what we all have been doing all these years, I'll let you decode what that means .......

1968017A-9C1C-4205-BD52-2437E562335B.jpeg

I use the most current Pressure Trace ll system, it's not prohibitively expensive and no drilling is required

This system will definitely open your eyes (in shock, lol) to what we all have been doing all these years, I'll let you decode what that means ....

Please don't tell me RL26 can't actually safely achieve claimed velocities. 😢😭

I'm quite aware of the systems available fellas. ... and I also agree that "some" data is better than no data. However, I'm simply suggesting that among the true experts in ballistic testing, its not as cut and dried as what you might think. It really is not.

Why!? The brass is the weak link. Why not go with the safest combo?
And its also the only thing saving you from a hospital visit! Safest combo is exactly that. using the best components you can afford and loading it to safe pressures found,, no bolt lift ,, no ejector marks etc. Brass hardness should not be the crutch your wanting base all safe levels on... have you ever seen lugs set back or bolt faces that look like a plasma cutter got ahold of them,, I'm not hating and I'm not bashing anyone and Rich is good dude and loves too tinker and come up with stuff and that's awesome but ... i do a bunch of tinkering myself and I've seen it a lot with my own wild cats and others I've tried that more times then not they come up short of expectations even on great brass! That's the reason why I find folly in claims of velocity on a case that doesn't even exist yet! That's all

Last edited: