SHERMAN MEGA LINE

I have a real world question. First, I have not read a lot about testing. I like to shoot and don't know much beyond that. I remember P.O. Ackley working up a maximum load in a Weatherby Mark V. He put the same load in a Mouser and it blew up the rifle. So he tried the same load in the Weatherby again and again it was "fine". So he tried it again in a different Mouser and again it was destroyed.

Would you safety guys say the load was unsafe in the Weatherby? Where did the 65,000 number come from? Was it established to be safe in a Mouser, thus being "safe" in all rifles?
I am just a shooter and have learned much in this forum, soooo, I would humbly add a part "b" to Rich's question, will a pressure gauge system read / display the same result if you had the same round chambered in a standard / minimum dimension action vs one that is overbuilt? For an example, (overbuilt= and yes, this is ridiculous) if you built a 4" diameter action and barrel with a vault style bolt you screwed in to load the round and pressure tested against any Remington clone, assume chambers and the round are all equal, would the pressure reading be the same?
The gauges used are "strain" gauges measure " stretch of the metal at the max stretch during combustion? If this is the case, then the resulting measurement would be mostly relevant to that chamber/action combination?
I am not saying that the measurement is without value, and may be a good starting point, and might or should help the shooter in their caliber decision, but is this the most relevant number?
If I choose to build a very light weight rifle, and choose less than minimum dimensions for my build, then pressure readings on a heavier build would not / should not be considered for my build?
Thank u all again for your knowledge.

Oh, I have no i
Sharing wisdom gained through experience in the spirit of cooperation and harmony is relentlessly punished by people attempting to be relevant by bashing every single new thing. Forums are filled with it. The art of respectful criticism is gone from the earth. Every new thing I've announced on forums in the last decade has been relentlessly attacked by arrogant skeptics. Enough to cause me to constantly second guess my presence within the communities I've participated in over the years. It's so much easier to just not participate.

Most of my peers in the industry actively avoid forums. They'd rather catch covid, twice, than come to a forum and participate. This thread is yet another perfect example of why they feel that way. The mob mentality can wear a guy out quite quickly. With so many posters being entirely incompetent, it's an easy mistake to think that every poster is incompetent. There are always members that spend significantly more time on their keyboards than they do their rifles. It shows too. They are quite skilled at assaulting other members contributions to this discipline.

We are witnessing the systematic silencing of experts in every discipline. Experts are simply looking on and saying, "very well, I'll leave you where I found you." We are all created equal, yet we do not long remain so after our birth. The power of individual achievement should be celebrated and encouraged, not scowled at. Shouldn't someone attempting to advance the discipline be granted some latitude in their presentation? Shouldn't they be questioned in such a way that would allow them to discuss their contribution without feeling attacked? The simple fact is that not all men can do what another man can do. Great strides forward will come from individual achievement. The mere attempt should be applauded, not discouraged.

Honorable dialogue and self discipline is not something practiced frequently enough. Everything new, is attacked on forums. I've not seen but a precious few innovations that were not. Then, should the innovation succeed in spite of those years of ruthless attacks... those same people can then be seen recommending it as if it was their idea to begin with. In no instance do they credit the innovator, either.

I have only spoken with Rich Sherman on one occasion a few weeks ago. He was nothing but accommodating, knowledgeable, and professional. I've elected to go a different direction for my project, but that decision was in no way due to any treatment I received. I hold my own opinions regarding advertised capabilities of cartridges versus their real world performance, yet I feel no burning desire to bludgeon any person or organization with that. Every single company that has released a cartridge in my entire life has always advertised the maximum capability. If they do not, then they will likely not achieve success. The reality of that cartridges final performance in the hands of a skilled handloader that is an expert at finding forgiving nodes will discover soon enough its true capabilities. That has suited everyone well enough to this point. It is not likely to change. Rich is playing by the rules the industry has set, rightly or wrongly. He should be encouraged to succeed. It will be hard enough for him to do so even with our encouragement... but if he can, we will all be better for it. If he doesn't succeed, then time will reveal that defeat well enough on its own. Defeat is a powerful enough foe to not need anyone's help.

I still remember being an advocate of 6BR, 6BRX, 6BRA, 6Dasher... during a time when everyone was running big 6mm's and 6.5's in PRS. The venom filled vitriolic statements I endured from people during that time was almost unbearable. Fast forward to today, and time has proven me correct and them incorrect. Yet I don't dwell on the victory, instead I dwell on the fact that men largely have not changed. They approach what they do not know as if they have the certainty of knowing it.

Is it really so difficult to simply say; "I'm skeptical of your performance claims, but I eagerly await such a time when you can convincingly demonstrate my skepticism is misplaced. Please do perform actual pressure testing and provide those data points so that I may give you the best possible chance at winning my support. I wish you success in your endeavor and if you are indeed successful, we'll all benefit and recognize you for it!" You can even provide feedback respectfully. "I've not seen compelling evidence to support your claims thus far. Is there any other evidence or data you can provide which you feel would more adequately demonstrate your position? It's entirely possible I'm missing something..."

I can be respectful, and remain skeptical, while also providing encouragement... all at the same time. This is a skill that many of you would do well to learn. Stand upright, and stop abusing your self worth by falling victim to vitriolic behaviors toward others. It makes you lesser, and that effect is inescapable.

@elkaholic I've reached the point of throwing in the towel and refusing to participate many times before. My desire to share what I've learned eventually overpowers my fear of wrongful persecution. I've found that I had to set down quite a lot of anger, resentment, and frankly my expectations of others in order to continue. I've had to forgive people for allowing themselves to be debased by their ridiculous and illogical behavior. This is not to say that I'm always successful. Reading idiotic recommendations given by wholly inexperienced people still causes me to get upset often times. It's a struggle, but none the less its also very rewarding to persevere in the face of such a seemingly unstoppable flood of vitriolic inexperienced people. I understand this can be difficult, and I hope that you can reconcile that in your mind and your heart. If you feel like I can help you with it in any way, feel free to call me up anytime. That invite is extended to any of you that find yourselves struggling with maintaining your integrity as well. Hardening your resolve in the position of inexperience is a very dangerous thing. If you think I can help provide perspective to get you out of that rut, please do give me a call. Maybe I can help.
Oh, i have no intention of throwing in the towel. Ill just be more selective about where I spend my time!
Thx for all the good input (positive)

Oh, I have no i
Oh, i have no intention of throwing in the towel. Ill just be more selective about where I spend my time!
Thx for all the good input (positive)
This is great news! Sadly every online group has the member who's life is so miserable they have to drag everyone into their misery. Most also have a superiority air to them. Don't let them get to you. You have more fans than haters. I am in awe of you continually improving a existing cartridge......except for me wanting to have everyone of them..well not so much me....by bank account does. But then it is one of those negative Nancy's.

This is great news! Sadly every online group has the member who's life is so miserable they have to drag everyone into their misery. Most also have a superiority air to them. Don't let them get to you. You have more fans than haters. I am in awe of you continually improving a existing cartridge......except for me wanting to have everyone of them..well not so much me....by bank account does. But then it is one of those negative Nancy's.
Rich is willing to put forth his time, effort, and money on maximizing 3.30 oal. I have 2 tikka magnum rifles, 1 on a manners prs1 stock that I love but only comes in short action. The other is a mesa altitude stock that I can utilize 3.30 coal. I got smokin deals on 2 proof barrels in 6.5 prc and 300wsm. I love both cartridges, but the 6.5 prc is too long for my short action loaded with 156 eols but rich's 6.5 sst will fit perfectly and I can actually buy brass with custom dies that won't give me clickers at the 1st or 2nd reload. By the way, if you read the thread on 6.5 prc sizing problems, while everyone, Ryan Furman and me included thought it was a die problem, Alex Wheeler knew it was a chamber problem being .002 too small at .200 above the case head. Rich Sherman noted that he speced his chambers with enough room in this area for the tough adg brass he was using to avoid these same problems. As to the 300 mega, I will get a cartridge that maximizes what I can get out of the action length. If I can only get 75 to 100fps more than the 300wsm, I would still be happy with the round as I am not a speed demon. I would like to say thank you Mr. Sherman for all the options you have given us!

I have a Savage long action that I was waffling on the 7 max on. I have a bunch of 197 gr Sierra's that I'd like to get the most out of a long action on. This Mega seems to be the right balance between the SAUM and the bigger PRC cases to make the heavy 7's do their work.

Nice Rich congrats with the new line of cartridges!
I'm trying to keep up! My 20" 30 Sherman Mag should be done soon but I think a 338 Mega with a 20" Bbl and RL26 pushing 300gr bergers at 2600fps is in the pipe line right now.
Don't quit posting here please I don't FB. Ryan and yourself are great guys here on LRH. Life's to short to let a debate over 100fps divide yal, hope yal can make things good again.

Time will tell. If everyone was so negative the 30-30 would be tops still. Every time something new comes along there is hate. I have gotten my fair share. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with either side. What I am saying is lets see this thing out.
The WSM is a great case. I designed a 300 SAUM imp to beat it. Because the WSM brass was sub par in my opinion. The 300 Saum IMP is out running the WSM with less powder. I have built a lot of WSMs. Its very similar to a 300 max. https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/300-saum-imp.4016652/
I have been less impressed by the 7mm version I tried.
300 WSM has to run the low node to live. Theres one above it that the primer pockets cant take. Like the 30 Nosler, 300 PRC, and others its another option. And until its drawn who knows. All I am saying is, do you want new stuff or not? If it doesnt cut it, it will not catch on.

Last edited:
Man, what a post...

Rich, I really appreciate all you have done. I appreciate your willingness to actually DO new things and push the envelope.
It's no small thing to put your own money behind your own ideas, and put it out there for the rest of us to take or leave it.
thanks.

Recent Posts