7 MAX OR 7 MEGA

Will83

7 Mega or 7 Max??? It will be a 22" CF Benchmark barrel on a Fuzion Ti action. I am leaning toward the mega to push the 195's, but I really like the idea of already formed brass of proper size necks. From what I understand, the mega brass needs reduction of neck from 30 cal to 7 mm and then fire forming. Also, could a mega or max be loaded down to the he ballistics and approximate recoil of a 7-08 with lighter bullets for training of my wife and kids? Thank you all in advance for the comments.

I recently built a 7-300 wsm blown out to 45 degrees vs. Sherman's 40 degree shoulder.
I'm using ADG 300 wsm brass and it's a simple process sizing down and fire forming.
It does take a little time though, and sizing the neck down will make it thicker at the base so I neck turned all my brass for consistency.
I love the cartridge but to be 100% honest the straight 7 wsm is just as fast and stupid accurate.
I had one previously and hornady brass worked really well at saami pressures, it was literally the easiest cartridge I've loaded for and accuracy was consistently in the .3s

7 Mega or 7 Max??? It will be a 22" CF Benchmark barrel on a Fuzion Ti action. I am leaning toward the mega to push the 195's, but I really like the idea of already formed brass of proper size necks. From what I understand, the mega brass needs reduction of neck from 30 cal to 7 mm and then fire forming. Also, could a mega or max be loaded down to the he ballistics and approximate recoil of a 7-08 with lighter bullets for training of my wife and kids? Thank you all in advance for the comments.
There is no reason you couldn't load it down providing you use the proper powder that doesn't mind a lot of air space.
H4895 works very well and Ive used it in my SS and SST for my Grand kids.
Ex: 6.5 SST with 120's at 2900' shoots bugholes. I once loaded 130 ELDM in a 6.5 SS and it literally shot .0's. As I recall, it was 42 grains H4895

There is no reason you couldn't load it down providing you use the proper powder that doesn't mind a lot of air space.
H4895 works very well and Ive used it in my SS and SST for my Grand kids.
Ex: 6.5 SST with 120's at 2900' shoots bugholes. I once loaded 130 ELDM in a 6.5 SS and it literally shot .0's. As I recall, it was 42 grains H4895
Pm sent for some specifics.

I recently built a 7-300 wsm blown out to 45 degrees vs. Sherman's 40 degree shoulder.
I'm using ADG 300 wsm brass and it's a simple process sizing down and fire forming.
It does take a little time though, and sizing the neck down will make it thicker at the base so I neck turned all my brass for consistency.
I love the cartridge but to be 100% honest the straight 7 wsm is just as fast and stupid accurate.
I had one previously and hornady brass worked really well at saami pressures, it was literally the easiest cartridge I've loaded for and accuracy was consistently in the .3s
I was thinking about building a 7WSM. The thing that gives me pause is the crappy brass selection. I want really good brass so I can maximize the cartridge capabilities and have those 7MM heavies shine. I'll probably end up building 7mega because at least the brass will be ADG which I have found to be awesome stuff

I was thinking about building a 7WSM. The thing that gives me pause is the crappy brass selection. I want really good brass so I can maximize the cartridge capabilities and have those 7MM heavies shine. I'll probably end up building 7mega because at least the brass will be ADG which I have found to be awesome stuff
The Hornady brass was getting me good velocity and brass life, but it's definitely not going to handle over pressure loads like ADG.
You could also just build the 7 wsm and if unhappy with Hornady brass its simple to neck 300 wsm down and fire form.
Or a straight up 7-300 wsm is super easy and cheap using 300 wsm bushing dies, lots of options depending on how complex and expensive you want to make it.

Wonder when 300wsm ADG brass will come back around. The first time around it went as fast a retumbo or H1000. Then saw it on gun broker for triple the price. might not see it for a while.

For a comparison, my wife's Krieger 4 groove 20" 7 max with a HOT load was sending 175 ELD-X's @ 2905 using VV N565, however with this load I started loosing primer pockets from my ADG brass on the second fireing (after an initial soft ff load). I am now running a 170 at 2825 fps with a moderate load of H1000. With this load, brass should last a long time. Add 30-60 fps for your extra 2" of barrel, and that is what you are looking at with the max. The 195 would probably be around 2700 on the high end out of a 22" 7 Max if you want brass to last, from my experience. I cannot speak on the Mega, I have zero experience with it.