338 Mega

Idaho Trecker

I figured it was time to do a separate post since my 338 Mega is done and I've put a few rounds downrange. For those who missed my specs and pictures in the Sherman Mega thread here it is again:

Picked it up from Preece Precision and definitely looks amazing! I have no doubt it will shoot just as good as it looks.
Sako 85 action
23" krieger sendero fluted by kampfeld customs 1:9.35"
Salmon River Solutions Ti Pro 3 brake
Fierce stock
Near Manufacturing 10 moa rail
Leupold mark5hd 3.6-18

338 mega.jpg

The 338 Mega is getting close to being done with barrel break-in. I have put 37 rounds down the tube with fireforming and break-in. With the rounds I've put down just being 225 grain Sierra Pro Hunters, that are flat base spire points, it has impressed to 820 yards on steel with no load development. I have 23 pieces of formed Hornady brass and 8 ready to form Nosler brass. After seeing the results Rich Sherman had in the 7 Mega with Nosler I'm not going to focus on it.
I plan on starting load development with the 250 Berger, 265 Long Range Accubond, 285 ELD-M, and possibly 300 Berger. So far I've only used H414 for initial shooting since I have it and dont use it for anything else.
Some maximum COL measurements that may interest:
265 LRAB 3.320"
285 ELD-M 3.328"
300 Berger 3.394"
The 250 Berger has such a short bearing surface that when touching the lands it is only barely into the neck. With this reamer you will have to pick how much bearing surface you want and jump. Hopefully they are pretty insensitive to jump. That being said if someone wanted to run this bullet and smaller (non mono) it would fit in a XM action with the bullet seated properly around 3.170" COL if another shorter freebore reamer was made.
Hoping to have some more info before I go back to work this weekend but this NW heatwave is killing me. I only have a small window from 500-600 am to shoot before its stupid hot. I'll get information up as I have it.

That's a sweet looking setup. Looking forward to seeing results. Kampfeld does great work! I'm sure its just the photo but that brake looks like its on crooked!

Hopefully I'll get to some development today. Just want to put another 15 rounds through and clean thoroughly. I was able to get out really early this morning and shoot the 16 rounds I had loaded with the 225 sierra and 300 nosler custom competition.

Little morning peek at my shooting spot

View attachment 282487
View attachment 282490
Hopefully I'll get to some development today. Just want to put another 15 rounds through and clean thoroughly. I was able to get out really early this morning and shoot the 16 rounds I had loaded with the 225 sierra and 300 nosler custom competition.

View attachment 282487
View attachment 282490
Ive seen that spot:)
BEAUTIFUL

Hopefully this week I'll find some time to shoot it. Been meaning to but the snow is still deep and makes it difficult to get paper out at distance. I posted my last round of shooting on the mega thread here I believe as well as the fb page (I know not everyone is on there)

View attachment 282487
View attachment 282490
Any updates on this build, sir

Any updates on this build, sir
brass and dies should be here next week. The only data I have so far is it looks like it will reach 2900' with a max load of RL26 in a 21" barrel with a 250 Berger. The guy doing the testing should be doing more testing when the brass gets here.
Im guessing that a 26" barrel would crowd 3000' but a likely useable every day load about 2900?

brass and dies should be here next week. The only data I have so far is it looks like it will reach 2900' with a max load of RL26 in a 21" barrel with a 250 Berger. The guy doing the testing should be doing more testing when the brass gets here.
Im guessing that a 26" barrel would crowd 3000' but a likely useable every day load about 2900?
When will the brass be online so it can be purchased/pre-purchased?