SHERMAN MEGA LINE

Has anyone done a 338 mega on a 3.100" box length yet? My rifle started as a 6.5 PRC with a box length of 2.990" and my smith has now installed a 3.100" Wyatt's box for chambering the 338 max. But I am thinking of going on up to the 338 MEGA if it's more worth it with a magazine box that short 3.100"? Planning on shooting either the 250 Berger EH's or the 230 ELD-X's?

I built mine on a Tikka action and using Mountain Tactical bottom metal and mags. The inside length of those is 3.418" - FYI
I've got a feeling that it would probably be a smarter decision going with the max sized case over the mega in a 3.100" maximum length. I just think the mega case dimensions are much more generous as far as powder capacity at least. I just don't know how much it would hinder the velocity of a 338 mega shooting a 250 Berger at a COAL of only 3.070" or thereabouts to fit in my shorter magazine versus a normal COAL of 3.200" plus?

I've got a feeling that it would probably be a smarter decision going with the max sized case over the mega in a 3.100" maximum length. I just think the mega case dimensions are much more generous as far as powder capacity at least. I just don't know how much it would hinder the velocity of a 338 mega shooting a 250 Berger at a COAL of only 3.070" or thereabouts to fit in my shorter magazine versus a normal COAL of 3.200" plus?
my buddy and I that both built 338 Megas are running 250 grain bullets at 2900ish

my buddy and I that both built 338 Megas are running 250 grain bullets at 2900ish
I'm also in Cache Valley, just got my 338 carbon blank in yesterday. It's 21". What powder are you running? Standard reamer or long throat? If its not too much to ask, I would appreciate any load data you have.

Hey guys, I'm gonna be loading up some fireforming rounds tomorrow for 338?Mega, long throat. I'll jam 285 ELD-M's .020, and probably use N160 to fire form. Anyone know a good safe place to start with this combo for forming my cases? I do have other combos available, but this would be my preference, as these bullets and powder I won't be using for load development.

Recent Posts