Sheep Dream

I have worked for a number of outfitters as a guide and I realize there are many variables.Guides firstly are not the most reliable bunch, snd sheep guides are the quirkiest of the guides.I can speak like this because I am a sheep hunter also.It certainly isn't always neat and tidy-as you experienced .Sorry to hear about this.

Sorry to hear it went badly. As a guide and former outfitter myself I can say that there are a lot of things out of the outfitters, or guides, control. There are also good guides and not so good guides.
My one time experience with Bristol Bay Outfitters was all good and I had hoped to hear this was your experience as well.

I also found out that the outfitter is selling his units and getting out of the business.

In reference to having not paid 20k for the hunt and feeling worse if I had. Let me assure you I feel terrible. Not a day goes by without thinking of this hunt. Just got back from 10 days of elk hunting and this bad experience was in my mind many times.
I feel that the fact that I didn't pay for this hunt was why I got the dirty end of the stick.
Another part of this that I didn't mention was that I had a different guide on day one. Then guides were switched on me to the suprise of the guide and me. So this gave me a no hunt day also because of the no hunting on the same day flying rule.

I would say you are correct on the reason why you got shorted and thw missing a day of hunting is ridiculous. Going on guided hunts is a risky business. I had a turkey hunt in Nebraska once with some friends of mine and when we arrived at the hotel to meet the guide there was several other hunters looking for him as well. Long story short he was a reputable outfitter whom things had suddenly went bad for. There was a hotel full of people looking for this guy and he never showed. He had booked tons of hunts taken deposits as well as full payment from some and he never had any intention of showing up to do the hunts. Chris Vaughn by the way was his name. Adventures wild outfitting. In case anyone was thinking about turkey hunting don't book with that guy. We drove 12 hours to find out we didn't have a hunt booked after all. Which pales in comparison to what happened to you. I really hate it that things went bad for you. I hope you geta sheep in the future

Unfortunately, If the hunt was a so called 'free one'you are going to get second best of everything imo.Sorry to say but A hunter that paid for the hunt expects /demands to be treated better too.I really don't know what else to say..and then he is getting out of it.Tough situation. .

That suxs beyond belief, winning a hunt at a show like that you would think they would do you right just because of the publicity, I'd be tempted to buy a booth at the next show and have a little presentation!!

Another crappy part of this soap opera is that I was originally scheduled to hunt I'm 2016. The outfitter called me in March asking if I could come this year instead because he was overbooked next year.
Sure wish I would have waited. I never thought anything like this would happen

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.