My dream come true!!

I was on a elk hunt in the Bitterroot in Idaho one year. I was the only guy in camp that didn't have a bear tag. Guess what I was the only one in camp that saw bears. Just buy the tag.

Congratulations on your upcoming hunt. Certainly what fantasies consist of. Also, great that your wife supports your dreams. I can't offer any equipment help, but can suggest getting into the best possible condition you can....without hurting yourself. Also, get a bunch of shooting in, from most any imaginable position and angle! This is another suggestion, do some form of aerobic exercise to accelerate your heart rate and breathing.....and "THEN" make those shots I described!

Again, Congratulations and Good Luck! memtb

Congratulations on your upcoming hunt. Certainly what fantasies consist of. Also, great that your wife supports your dreams. I can't offer any equipment help, but can suggest getting into the best possible condition you can....without hurting yourself. Also, get a bunch of shooting in, from most any imaginable position and angle! This is another suggestion, do some form of aerobic exercise to accelerate your heart rate and breathing.....and "THEN" make those shots I described!

Again, Congratulations and Good Luck! memtb
Thanks I do flights of steps every other day with 70 pounds in my pack. Upto 120 flights in an hour. My guide said to be in sheep shape need to do 500 flights.Then I weight lift on in between days . Practice shooting a lot from 100-500 yards off of pack etc.on some pretty good hills for Wisconsin. Try to either go up and down hills first or do pushups and jumping jacks before I shoot.

Thanks I do flights of steps every other day with 70 pounds in my pack. Upto 120 flights in an hour. My guide said to be in sheep shape need to do 500 flights.Then I weight lift on in between days . Practice shooting a lot from 100-500 yards off of pack etc.on some pretty good hills for Wisconsin. Try to either go up and down hills first or do pushups and jumping jacks before I shoot.

Sounds like you're in shape and ready!
As far as the grizzly tag goes, you'll have to ask the outfitter about the local area. There are lots of grizz in the brooks but they are spread out. I'd say the odds are decent to see one. They do tend to be fairly small, and a 7 footer would generally be on the large side with younger 6 footers being more realistic. An extra $1k doesn't sound too bad to maybe get an opportunity of a lifetime. You should be able to use that grizz tag to take anything of lesser value too (such as caribou). You might ask the outfitter if there are opportunities for this stuff because it is highly dependent on where you are going in the brooks.

Sounds like you're in shape and ready!
As far as the grizzly tag goes, you'll have to ask the outfitter about the local area. There are lots of grizz in the brooks but they are spread out. I'd say the odds are decent to see one. They do tend to be fairly small, and a 7 footer would generally be on the large side with younger 6 footers being more realistic. An extra $1k doesn't sound too bad to maybe get an opportunity of a lifetime. You should be able to use that grizz tag to take anything of lesser value too (such as caribou). You might ask the outfitter if there are opportunities for this stuff because it is highly dependent on where you are going in the brooks.
Thanks I will have to check on other animals. Already have a Pope Young Black bear wife has a nice cinnamon. So unless it was a big Grizzly I would not want to shoot. But if I can get a caribou or wolf or wolverines then I guess I would spend the 1000. Already spent way more than I can afford

Congrats on your hunt! I've never sheep hunted and can't wait until I finally draw a tag.

I did notice some fitness improvements last year in my elk hunting from previous years though. I used to be able to pull off a big day but would be pretty wrecked the next day (probably doing very similar training to what you described) and last year I was able to hunt hard everyday of the season. Most of my training last year was for a 50-mile ultra marathon three weeks before my main elk hunt (fitness was great but I was still eating a lot of Tylenol for joints and ligaments not healed yet).

The biggest takeaways from my training that also help for hunting fitness are getting in the long days training at a slow pace, ( zone 1 or 2 if using a heart rate monitor, being able to breathe through nose the entire time if you aren't using a heart rate monitor). And for me doing those long days fasted part of the time helped a lot (helps your body adapt to using body fat as fuel instead of relying on carbohydrates for fuel). Still keep doing the training your doing but add in a lot of training in the lower heart rate zones that are a pace you can maintain all day will definitely add to how hard you can hunt for multiple days.

Maybe explore the high fat/low carb diet as well. Fat is more calorie dense per volume than carbohydrate foods and it does help make you more 'bonk proof' than a high carbohydrate diet. It's not for everyone but a lot of people respond well to it and it's worth looking into.

There are a lot of sources for training but I learned most of it from a book called 'Training for the New Alpinism' for people training for mountaineering. It's long, got a lot of info but it is good if you are doing a once in a lifetime objective where fitness is extremely important.

Good luck!

IanCo, Off topic a bit, though still about fitness. I saw you'd done a 50 miler.....hove you ever done the Leadville 100 miler? memtb

Thanks I will have to check on other animals. Already have a Pope Young Black bear wife has a nice cinnamon. So unless it was a big Grizzly I would not want to shoot. But if I can get a caribou or wolf or wolverines then I guess I would spend the 1000. Already spent way more than I can afford
Good morning,awesome tag and great to hear your wife loves you that much have a blessed and safe hunt...

IanCo, Off topic a bit, though still about fitness. I saw you'd done a 50 miler.....hove you ever done the Leadville 100 miler? memtb
No, maybe someday. It would be something I would have to work up to over a couple of years.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.