Sever Chronic Pain and Spinal Cord Stimulators – NERVO

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Some of you know me through this forum and have had personal conversations with me on hunting, shooting, reloading and PAIN Management. I am writing this because it may help some of you now or in the future. I had a sever spinal cord injury years ago and didn't really know how bad it was until I had an MRI done. The surgeon said that if I didn't have immediate surgery in my neck C-2 & C-3 that I could be paralyzed. Well I had the surgery and ended up paralyzed, had to have another operation to correct that and let me in sever Chronic pain. I had to have a third operation which fused C-2 To C-7in my spinal cord (neck section). After that operation it left me in worse pain and disabled. I ended up losing my employment as well as my everyday lifestyle. This has been going on for FIVE years now.
I was given every pain medication out there in extremely high doses. My body is immune to Opioids so that did not take the pain away. I had RFAs (Radio Frequency Ablation) several times and that did not work. I had an Eperderial and it only made it worse.
I changed Pain Management Doctors and was offered to have a "Trial" for Spinal cord stimulators – NERVO.
This is a newer type of treatment, but usually only for back and leg pain. My new Dr is one of the few that will put the Implant into the "C" section of the spine. I also have several other issues because of the scar tissue and all the "Hardware" holding my spinal cord together.
This new process is my LAST Resort. I was told by FIVE DR's & Surgeons that I will have this pain for the rest of my life. The only way that I can go one everyday is because of my Faith and my wonderful wife Jill.
I finally got the "TEST" SCS Implants approved and had them installed in my spine from the middle of my back all the way to the base of my spine. It was a wire with the "Leads" placed under my skin and on my spine. That was attached to a battery pack taped to my lower back. I also had a remote control to be used for different programs during the Test.
I had the "System" put in on November 5th​ and removed Nov 9th​. The first wo days I had pain from the wires under my skin, but reduction of pain in my spine -neck. There were two adjustments in the electricity on the second and third day. It was almost like a miracle! My pain was reduced 80-90 almost 100%. I have not had that kind of relief since before the operations five years ago. Using the SCS along with minimal pain meds may give me an almost pain free life again.
By the way the electrical frequency is so high that there is no sense or feeling of electricity.
I got a call on Nov 11th​ and my insurance approved the procedure for Permanent Implants. I am scheduled to go in on Nov 23rd​ where the Implant "Leads" Wires & Battery Pack will be placed under my skin. Full recovery time is about 6 weeks for my body to attach to the leads and wires.
I will just have to charge the battery through a wireless system every day.
Hopefully the Permanent Implants will give me the same or better pain reduction.
I will put another post up a while after the procedure and jive an update.
Just wanted to let anyone know about the procedure if you have run out of options like myself.
If you want to know more about the SCS feel free to PM me.
Thanks and God Bless
Len

Len, I think I can safely say the ENTIRE LRH community is praying for you to get relief and hopefully some sense of a "normal" life going forward. Back pain can just destroy both your physical and mental well being for you and your family. Its so hard for family to watch you go through such pain. I live with worse classification of stenosis and arthritis in my back and neck and can personally understand what you and your family are enduring. Of course not to your extent but I get it.

Prayers that you will experience pain relief and your life will have new meaning moving forward.

God bless and God speed.

Every time I take a rough tumble in the woods..i wonder as I'm falling if it's going to be the one that breaks me.....i hurt every time...but get back up and push on...
As are you....sometimes the pain is enough to make me 'think about not going out again'......then I see something like this...... IMG_20211114_115831.jpg...
Makes it all worth it......if only I could find someone with a tag....id really like to pack out a backstrap.....

I've had shots...and taken way too many pain drugs......but electrifying is the only way to go......mine was the patch on method....highest setting possible......thought about hooking straight to 110.....but was talked out of it....

Keep your spirits high....
Good luck....

I am glad you have found relief.
Having broken my back L5 before, and being told I would never run or compete again, I feel I know a smidgen of your total experience.
Good on you for hanging tough. Kudos to your wife.

Well Len you and I have discussed the subject and I have had fusion from c3 - c7 that didn't work for me. Did or are they going to remove the fusions? The different doctors I've talked to had mixed suggestions. The 12 years I've been dealing with this seems to be not as bad as yours. We all need too see you do the jig and video to prove all is well! I hope your pain is lower than we've discussed during this wait period!

Sorry to hear all that but it sounds like some relief is coming. I hope you get some quality of life back. I'll be praying for you and Jill. Keep the faith brother!

I can relate to the constant pain myself and having a supportive and understanding wife is truly a blessing. In my case, If it weren't for her and my kids lord only knows where I'd be right now.

Sorry to hear all that but it sounds like some relief is coming. I hope you get some quality of life back. I'll be praying for you and Jill. Keep the faith brother!

I can relate to the constant pain myself and having a supportive and understanding wife is truly a blessing. In my case, If it weren't for her and my kids lord only knows where I'd be right now.
Responsibility keeps me sane and reasonable decisions.