Free Floating Barrels: Panacea Or Pain-in-the Neck?

By Don Bitz - Owner - Stocky's Stocks We get a lot of calls before and after the point of sale debating the relative merits and pitfalls of a...
By ADMIN · Sep 12, 2018 ·
Rating:
4.8/5,
  1. ADMIN

ADMIN Administrator

ADMIN submitted a new Article:

Free Floating Barrels: Panacea Or Pain-in-the Neck?

Read more about this article here...

HARPERC, Gabriel Baker and Barrelnut like this.
  2. Gabriel Baker

Gabriel Baker New Member

Great article Don! I thoroughly enjoyed it and the examples with the tuning forks is spot on!

3. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Good read!

4. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

Interesting and detailed article. Lots of info there.

OK, My 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator was free-floated, as was the Boyd's Classic laminated stock I put on it later. It shoots 1/2 MOA with either factory or Boyd's stock!

BUT... I very much disliked the plastic Ruger factory stock's wimpy forearm. Using an "arm wrap" hasty sling support I could pull the forearm onto the barrel. So I epoxied an arrow shaft the full length of the forearm with JB Weld. Now it is much stiffer in all directions. So Stockey's advice to not mess with the factory stock only applies to higher priced rifles with quality stocks, IMHO. Mess with any cheap plastic stock you want. They are cheap to replace if you screw it up.

And in some ways, like pillar bedding or epoxy action bedding, you can mess with better plastic stocks like my .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt's stock. I did it and improved the accuracy. Yeah, maybe a Mauser M18 stock is good as-is... maybe.

But I may use an adjustable pressure "pad" on the forearm of my .308 Savage 99 C lever gun. Free floating that barrel is not an option as configured. An adjustable pressure pad with a visible indexed brass escutcheon around the (very finely threaded) adjustment bolt can help give some quantification to the pressure applied to the barrel. Good for load development.

Finally, the excellent carbon fiber stock on my Browning A-Bolt Pro is well bedded and well designed so I would not even dream of messing with it - or replacing it. SAKO would be fortunate if their Carbonlight stock was as good. Jus' sayin'

Eric B.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018 at 9:38 PM
  5. HARPERC

"Free Floated" has become dogmatic for many, changing very thing else in the system, and never questioning the "free floated". Unfortunately not all rifles deliver their best results that way.

Trial and error need not be complicated, a few layers of tape in the fore end, will tell you which is best, and is easily removed.

I've seen too many improve dramatically with a bit of fore end pressure to discount it.

The best way to bed a rifle is the one that compliments the rest of the system, and validated on the target.

6. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

Harper,
    I agree some barrels absolutely need a pressure point to shoot decently. And I think this is likely because those barrels and/or bores are not perfectly straight or were straightened at the factory (happens all the time) and have a "memory" when they warm up after a few shots.

But well made barrels should not need pressure points as their harmonics are fairly uniform the full length of the barrel in that they change in a predictable rising frequency pattern as they move toward the muzzle. This is also greatly dependent on barrel stiffness and, of course, load differences such as powder type & charge, bullet type & weight and primer brand among other factors.

Eric B.

HARPERC likes this.
  7. HARPERC

I agree free floated is where to start.

Barrels come in all degrees, but some that aren't performing can be attributed to some of these cheap stocks available. Add a magnum cartridge, and a muzzle break and slow motion video, and WOW! Forces involved can test the construction of the best.

Some fore end pressure is generally a patch for other issues, but can get you by when nothing else works.

In the opposite direction, I have Ruger No. 1 that never shot regardless of what happened to the fore end. I sent it off to restock, thinking re-barrel when it got back. It works perfectly now, some problem in the butt stock I was unaware of resolved. Fore end pressure helped, but now free floated it's just fine.

8. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

While it sounds totally ridiculous; a guy in our club took a rifle that refused to shoot and bedded the entire barrel in silicone rubber from the lug to the end of the forearm. He swears that it cut the groups in half.

HARPERC likes this.
  9. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

Look at the lightweight nulu rifles and lightweight barrett fieldcraft rifles...both use a similar barrel profile close to a pencil profile--- both are bedded from tang to tip of forearm. Just recently noticed this and wondered if the pencil profile "dictated" a full receiver and barrel bed.

HARPERC likes this.