Pain....in a Fathers' Heart!

G

Pain....in a Fathers\' Heart!

My daughter Shellie is 36 years old....5'2" and about 105# dripping wet with sweat with a bottle of pop and foam on top! Loves to deer hunt, shoot ducks, doves, etc. Her husband owns 300 acres of prime La. bottomland with striped oaks, white oak, pin oak acorn trees, and great deer habitat. Well...I went hunting with her yesterday and Shellie elects to sit in a shooting house about 15' above ground and when I came out of the timber last evening, she proceeds to climb down, slips and falls and breaks both bones in her right leg just above the ankle! She committed an unpardonable sin of not having a rope tied to the stand to attach her rifle/backpack onto to pull up to her and doing the reverse when gettin out of the stand! I came out early as I WILL NOT walk out of the timber WITHOUT A FLASHLIGHT and once on stand I discovered that my light was not good because of dead batteries. So since it was still daylight (I walked out on the shooting lane because I didn't know Shellie was there as she had gone to another area when we seperated but then she elected to go to the shooting house. Had I known she was watching that area I never would have gone there until after dark to keep from messing her up.) I stood 100 yds. off and saw my girl fall! Taking off like a flash (for a 65 year old guy I still move pretty good) I was praying that her back wouldn't be broken as she had her rifle over one shoulder and her backpack on the other when she fell! When she leaned back to shut the door to the shooting house...that's when she slipped and she did the only thing she could do which was shove herself away from the ladder...she rotated 1/2 a turn when coming down and hit on her right leg breaking both bones; a compound fracture! So....here I am....no help...she's in utter pain but she wouldn't let me pick her up to carry her for the pain and we're still 100 yds. off a woods road to where I have to get her to for loading into the truck! I'm a pretty "healthy guy"; 6' tall and about 230# and no weakling by any means but apparently she's worried about me croaking under the strain but having flown ag planes for 40 years...I've learned how to handle stess/strain! But she won't let me pick her up because she says the pain is terrible! Our truck is 500 yds. up the hill so I make a beeline for it to drive back down to where the shooting lane is and where she's laying! In the meantime...this gal manages to crawl half the distance down to the road by the time I get back and when I get back to her she says "Dad...I'm going to lay on my back and you drag me the remaining way down to the truck!" So...that's what I do and I finally get her into the truck! We're 40 miles from Monroe, La. and the hospital but we cut out! Amazingly...there's a friend of mine whom is probably the best bone doc in the country on duty last night and he sees her immediately upon our arrival at the emergency room! He takes Shellie right on to surgery, cleans the wound as the bone came through the skin, installs two steel plates and tells me she's going to be just great as the breaks were clean and the bones matched up perfectly when he attached the plates! She'll have to have the plates removed in about 6 months as her ankles are small but the Doc says that's no big deal!

So guys....the reason I'm posting this is that there's NO WAY that you can be TOO AWARE OF SAFETY! Shellie knows that she "messed up" by not abiding by my rules that I've drummed into both her and her brother but it's a **** sad issue to have to learn lessons the hard way!! So....you also "drum into your children" the SAFETY ISSUES and don't be too fearful of being redundant about them! Not to mention the pain/grief brought onto the back of a parent!

I'm just mighty thankful to the Good Lord for things not being worse as her back could have been broken or her rifle could have gone off as....SHE DID NOT UNLOAD HER .308 PRIOR TO GETTING DOWN!! When she gets better...she'll get a good "*** chewing" for this as that's a REAL NO NO!!

As an aside issue....this little gal is "deadly" with this .308! She consistently can "bust" 1 gal. milk jugs of water from 400 yds. with it and if a buck steps out....it's a BAD DAY AT BLACKROCK for his ***!!

SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY!! Stress it guys!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!

Re: Pain....in a Fathers\' Heart!

Sorry to hear about the incident and glad things worked out well in the end. As long as there are folks on the planet there are bound to be accidents (or negligence if you're a lawyer) and it's good to have a strong person there to help.

Rick -- glad it wasnt as serious as it could have been!!

Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Jason

Ric,

My heart goes out to you and to Shelly . Thank the Lord for his mercy here as so many things worse could havw happened !

Shelly will probably not need that verbal but whupping as she is more than likely be harder on herself than even you.

Prayersa here for her full recovery and a strong knit of the bones .

Jim

Rmulhern,

Someone was watching over your daughter. Legs generally heal with no future problems but it could have been much worse as you know. Not taking away from the seriousness of the accident as I have heard of several compound leg fractures that were fatal.

Tell her to take it easy, rest until she is healed and ready to get back in the field. Our prayers will be with you.

I had a similiar incident with my wife, not hunting, riding horses. Its amazing what you can do when a loved one is seriously hurt.

You did good taking care of your girl!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Ric

It is good you were there. Daughters are very special people and to a father they always will need taking care of even when they don't think so.

Glad it was not worse.

You and her are lucky and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

1/3 of all hunters will fall out of a treestand in their career, with over 10% of those being killed or permanently disabled.

Scary but absolutely true facts.

I have gone to carrying a small $10 LED headlamp at all times that the batteries AAA will last easily one season.

She is lucky someone was with her.

BH

Despite her accident & injury you both have so much to be
thankful for. As someone already mentioned, she will have
a lot of time to think of her mistakes before your butt chewing occurs. It is amazing how we can make careless mistakes despite our training.
About 8 years ago a good friend of mine took his 12 year old
Son Deer hunting on the edge of their property in Northwestern AR. When he parked the truck, he discovered they had only one orange vest. Instead of going back to the
house to get another vest, he told his son to wear the vest
& he took him to one of their tree stands & told him that he
would come by & get him later. He was wearing brown carhart
overalls, why I don't know! To put this in more perspective,
the son had been teased alot about missing some Deer earlier
that season. His Grandfather bought him a shotgun & buckshot
so that he would not miss again.The dad put him in a stand in a thicket that would only have short range shots. I think
in the son's mind he would not let the next one by him & he could kill either sex, therefore he could point on the body mass & shoot. When the Father came back to get his son, the
boy saw the mass & shot. My friend had time to get out of his pocket a pen & a piece of paper. He wrote to his Son that he loved him & it was not his fault & then he died. Needless to say, this was devasting to everyone who knew this fine Man, but you can only imagine what this did to the son, a Daddy's boy for sure. This was one of the roughest funerals that I have ever attended. The boy was a wreck & in therapy for many years. I don't think he would have made it at all if it was not for his Grandfather. His Grandfather was & is still a rock that the boy could lean on dispite his Grandfather's terrible loss.
This accident was caused by a whole bunch of serious errors. We kept asking ourselves why did they not go back
home for the other vest? Why was the Dad wearing Carhart like the ones he worked with? The son should have never been teased, which caused him to have this unnessary pressure to kill a Deer. I sat with my boy's the first two years they hunted so I could keep them calm & make sure they identified the targets & placed their shots (with rifles). I could go on & on but we don't know why hunters that were trained on all these points made these mistakes, but my friend is gone.
Sir, I wish yor daughter a speedy recovery & I am glad you
were there. It is so good that the outcome was not like
my friend's.

GLAD IT DID NOT END UP BEING WORSE, WISH FOR A FAST RECOVERY. MERRY XMAS.

All Board

Thanks for your replies/thoughts! I posted this mainly as a reminder that no matter who it is.....things happen sometimes that cause pain/grief! It could have been MUCH WORSE....and I guess this is one reason I pray hard each day for my family/friends! Watch those little ones guys; train them in a manner that they will listen to you and apply what has been taught! Shellie has done this 99% of the time but she "goofed" that afternoon!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!

God Bless!!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. As you mentioned it could have been a lot worse!

Happy Holidays,
Frank D

Wishin for a speedy recovery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The safety harness should be mandatory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Another I ask all of my friends to do, WEAR THE
KILL SWITCH WHEN DRIVING AN OUTBOARD!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Merry Christmas!!!

George /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW-I think I asked but got that CRS disease---Where is Clear Lake, LA? Which direction from Monroe?

GeorgeS3

Clear Lake is 10 miles 120 degrees off the Monroe Regional Airport!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YA!!

Here's her first doe this year: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mulhernric800/detail?.dir=d676&.dnm=fe97re2.jpg&.src=ph

Her husband is a Barge Captain in the Gulf of Mexico and the day she got this doe she called me that night and told me she did EVERYTHING by herself as she had no help! I told her since I only live 15 miles from her location.....she should have called me but for some reason.....SHE'S HARD-HEADED! Must get that from her Mother!!

She goes home today so I know she'll be looking forward to seeing more familiar surroundings!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.