Sendero 7mag twist rate

sierracharlie338

Anyone know the factory twist rates for the sendero II 7mag off the top of their head? Thinking of reaming it out to a 28Nos. . .

Thanks
SC

This is actually my old mans rifle and wanted to see if it would be worth doing the Nosler switch for him to get away from the belted cases since I do his reloading. Ranges would be 500 and under most likely for him. I'd shoot it out to 100 for sure at some point. I think the rebarrel would be the better option after sitting down and looking at ballistics of the Nosler.

Use the Berger stability calculator and see how certain bullets will do with what you've got. I shoot 180 Bergers and ELDs with great accuracy out to 950 yards with a 1:9.25 twist. And as far as the belt goes, I just bump my shoulders back .002" and have zero issues. The belt is basically obsolete at that point. It's your money, but it seems like a lot to spend to just get away from a belt

For 500 yards, that's a chip shot for a 7RM. 168 class like Berger, Sierra really come to together for that twist. For 1000 yards, maybe the 180 vld but as stated, you will need to look at stability calculations.

Spend a little time pulling targets in the 1000 yard pits. 'Tis educational indeed! You'll find that
6.5's, '06's and so many other old standards are still cracking very hard and flying true at that range. So-oo-oo, methinks it's more up to me to deliver the bullet, than to spend another couple of grand building to the some gun-writer's latest fantasy round. At those ranges, the bullet's drop is steeper, so precise ranging and ballistics come into play. Still, I haven't noticed that much difference, so long as a well made, well matched, well purposed bullet is properly arc'd into the target. Building and fiddling with guns and load development feed my OCD exactly what it needs ... until the next build. Remember, You are building only for the shooting that you will do with it. The further you get from a mainline buy-it-anywhere factory cartridge, the less alimony that gun will pay you (or your heirs) when the time finally comes for the inevitable separation. Just my 2 pesos.

Have the same rifle, not a 7 guy, so I reamed mine out to 7STW.
Looks really good so far with Nosler 168gr ABLR. Got 1.1" group at 300mtr.
The 150gr BT's also shot well, 2" groups at 300mtr with a bullet seating load, no work up as yet.
Not sure if a 28 Nosler would be worthwhile with that twist rate, I also looked at the 28 Nosler but decided the STW was easier with lots of brass here. I had 200 cases before I even received the reamer. Lol.

Cheers.

Spend a little time pulling targets in the 1000 yard pits. 'Tis educational indeed! You'll find that
6.5's, '06's and so many other old standards are still cracking very hard and flying true at that range. So-oo-oo, methinks it's more up to me to deliver the bullet, than to spend another couple of grand building to the some gun-writer's latest fantasy round. At those ranges, the bullet's drop is steeper, so precise ranging and ballistics come into play. Still, I haven't noticed that much difference, so long as a well made, well matched, well purposed bullet is properly arc'd into the target. Building and fiddling with guns and load development feed my OCD exactly what it needs ... until the next build. Remember, You are building only for the shooting that you will do with it. The further you get from a mainline buy-it-anywhere factory cartridge, the less alimony that gun will pay you (or your heirs) when the time finally comes for the inevitable separation. Just my 2 pesos.
Interesting insight which I happen to agree with. Ive spent plenty of time on the range and in the books when it comes to ballistics just looking for additional opinions. Im wanting to stay in the 284 family but personally Im just not a fan of the 7mag, dont know why, it just doesnt do it for me haha. But as you mentioned it all comes down to bullet placement and making the shot regardless of what caliber it is. And as for the bold part, that may be the deciding factor since this is my old man's rifle and not mine yet. Perhaps I just like building and fiddling process you mentioned 😁

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.