Seating Die Questions

Earnhardt

I'm going to start reloading bullets CBTO with Berger .30 cal 230 grns in a 300 RUM
In my standard RCBS seating die I can get a max overall cartridge length of 3.95"
In my Redding Competition die I can get a max overall cartridge length of 3.845", Which still leaves me quite a ways off of the lands.
I love the fine tune capability of the Redding Comp die, but the RCBS gets me where I need to be for cartridge length.
Do all brands of dies have a different max length that they will seat a bullet for a factory round such as the 300 RUM?
Has anyone used a Redding VLD seating micrometer on to of a RCBS, or brand of seating die?
If so, did it shorten the max overall length that it will seat a bullet, from what it would seat bullets at before putting the Redding VLD micrometer on it?
How's the repeatability with the micrometer?
Thanks

A 'VLD' seater plug should be drilled deeper to prevent VLD tips from bottoming out at the set datum contact. I don't understand why ALL seater plugs are not made like this by now.
This would likely allow for shallower seating.

Make a call to Redding, ask them if they can remedy the situation? Maybe they can fix the issue, it wouldn't hurt to try. They've fixed more then a few issues on sizing dies I've owned, so I can't see why not ask to fix yours.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.