Seating Die Questions

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Earnhardt, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Earnhardt

Earnhardt Well-Known Member

I'm going to start reloading bullets CBTO with Berger .30 cal 230 grns in a 300 RUM
    In my standard RCBS seating die I can get a max overall cartridge length of 3.95"
    In my Redding Competition die I can get a max overall cartridge length of 3.845", Which still leaves me quite a ways off of the lands.
    I love the fine tune capability of the Redding Comp die, but the RCBS gets me where I need to be for cartridge length.
    Do all brands of dies have a different max length that they will seat a bullet for a factory round such as the 300 RUM?
    Has anyone used a Redding VLD seating micrometer on to of a RCBS, or brand of seating die?
    If so, did it shorten the max overall length that it will seat a bullet, from what it would seat bullets at before putting the Redding VLD micrometer on it?
    How's the repeatability with the micrometer?
    Thanks

2. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

A 'VLD' seater plug should be drilled deeper to prevent VLD tips from bottoming out at the set datum contact. I don't understand why ALL seater plugs are not made like this by now.
    This would likely allow for shallower seating.

3. longrangehunterII

longrangehunterII Well-Known Member

Make a call to Redding, ask them if they can remedy the situation? Maybe they can fix the issue, it wouldn't hurt to try. They've fixed more then a few issues on sizing dies I've owned, so I can't see why not ask to fix yours.