Seating die squish???

I happen not to crimp but I have had this issue when my seating die was set too deep into the threads of the press.

Your die is set too low. This has happened to me. The crimp part of the seating die is hitting the case mouth. Back your die off.

This 👆🏻, it happened to me, I adjusted it problem solved
20201125_224443.jpg

They come chamfered from the factory, but I wouldn't be surprised if this specific case wasn't chamfered properly or was otherwise out of spec. I'll take a look when I pull it (need to get a 7mm collet)
We neck size, expander mandrel to set neck tension and chamfer ALL new brass. Lapua, Alpha, ADG doesn't matter. The necks are annealed and soft so generally not consistent what so ever after getting packaged and shipped around.

Hi All, I'm wondering what happened here:
View attachment 383697
Trying to seat these BD2s in 7-08, and this one, the third case through, does this. We did 20 others and they all came out (and shot) fine. Is this a defect in the case, some weird interaction with the seating die, or something else I'm not seeing? I'd like to avoid randomly squishing cases in the future. This was the standard Redding seating die with micrometer.
Side by side with factory ammo, since we shot all the others we loaded up:
View attachment 383701

Also, should we shoot this? I'm tempted to see if it chambers, and if it does can we fireform this back into proper shape?
Did you chamfer the inside neck before the primers went in? A lightly burred projectile can sometimes catch when it's being pushed home.

Hi All, I'm wondering what happened here:
View attachment 383697
Trying to seat these BD2s in 7-08, and this one, the third case through, does this. We did 20 others and they all came out (and shot) fine. Is this a defect in the case, some weird interaction with the seating die, or something else I'm not seeing? I'd like to avoid randomly squishing cases in the future. This was the standard Redding seating die with micrometer.
Side by side with factory ammo, since we shot all the others we loaded up:
View attachment 383701

Also, should we shoot this? I'm tempted to see if it chambers, and if it does can we fireform this back into proper shape?
Did you derbur the case neck and ream the mouth just a bit . I had the same problem when I did not do this .

I wish you lived near by. Maybe you could come help me get started. I have reloaded in the past, but for some reason, I seem to be having trouble getting up and running this time. I am SURE that it is not Old Age creeping in. LOL.
Well don't know for sure that old age has got much to do with anything these days. It's more attitude and desire. I started shooting with a Daisy Red Ryder at the ripe old age of 8 and 67 years later having sent a lot of rounds down range in practice, competition and hunting still find myself out on the range and fields of Wisconsin. I shoot a Sig M17, Tikka T1x & T3x, Winchester Model 70's and a big ole Browning 300 WM as well as a couple of match grade MSR's All including the M17 shoot MOA or less (50 feet) with premium factory or hand loads. The exception is the 300WM which won't shoot under 1 MOA with premium factory and slightly less with hand loads.

Right now I am working on hand loading match grade 75gr and 77gr .223 for long range competition out to 600 yards. The tiny bullets are pretty finicky but really get seriously fickle beyond 400 yards.