Seating Die

Slick

I am currently using a Forster B/R seating and sizing die for my .260. The seating die seems to change depths on me or am I doing somethin wrong?? I am currently loading Nosler 120 BT's. If there is a better die please let me know. All responses welcome.

Have you set the Lock Ring on your Die and if you have are sure you have it tight enough cause any little of looseness can throw it off big time.

When you say that your seating die seems to be changing depths on you, are you meaning the finished cartridges look different or are you meaning that the COAL is different? If the lock ring on the die is tight and the seating stem is locked down tight I don't see how there can be any discrepancy in the finished length. I have never used Forster BR dies so I can't comment about their use.

"If there is a better die please let me know."

Nothing is better, few are as good. It isn't a seating die that makes varying OAL, it's varying bullets and varying press operation.

+1....

Some of what you're experiencing is variance in bullet manufacturing. I noticed it when loading both Berger VLDs and SMK bullets. The variance in OAL (base of case to tip of bullet) was great enough that I wonder how much is allowable tolerance in the manufacuring process.

I started to use a Hornady Comparator (which measures at the ogive rather than the tip of the bullet). Then I found that although there was variance in the OAL, the measurement to the ogive was within .002

My response is predicated on the fact that the set-up issues others raise are not a problem.

Thanks for all the responses.
To answer some questions:
The lock ring is tight and set with a lock screw. I measure with an OAL gauge (Hornady and I use a digital caliper) to the Ogive, not the end of the bullet. I am using Nosler BT's that were surplus from a friend. I think it is the bullets. The press is an older model RCBS, but it is operating smoothly.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.