Sealing Primers?

lv2hunt

Hello,

I am just getting my feet wet in Precision Reloading and have heard that using primer sealant similar to what the major manufacturers do when installing primers is a good practice; I have never done this. Does anyone do this when installing primers and if so what sealant do you use and where do you get it?

Being that there is an interference fit between the primer/bullet and case the powder is technically sealed. Unless your using the rounds in a bang stick to go scuba diving with or know your ammo is going to be exposed to extreme moisture for extended periods of time I would not bother with it. IMO

Tommy,

Thanks, that is the way I was leaning as well. Just thought I would ask.

Brandon

Dunk the box in tool dip and then cut them out when you are ready to shoot them.

Seriously I have dropped shells in the saltwater bay and found them a month later and they still fired fine. The bullet and the primer are a pressed fit much like the freeze plugs in your car. They will not leak unless your components are junk.

Thanks

I am heading out into the Alaskan Bush for 21 days this September (Float Hunt and rain is expected everyday... all day)

Just curious if this was a good idea.

A lot of the time I hunt in wet conditions so I seal my hunting ammo. I use George & Roy's sealant. I figure that it can't hurt. I have tested sealed against unsealed and not found a difference in how they shoot. As far as being under water I have found ammunition from aircraft that were in saltwater for 20 years. The brass was terribly corroded but the powder still burned.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.