Stubborn primers with sealant

Just a hunter

I ordered some range .223/5.56 brass to try my hand at loading for my AR. I've been able to get the spent primers out of all the cases with the exception of certain ones that have a red colored sealer on them. I've broke pins and bent the decapping rods on my .223 and 22-250 dies trying to get them out. Ordered new rods and spare pins and still no luck. Can I put a little heat on the primer/pocket and be safe?

If applying heat, maybe try boiling water or a heat gun. Are you using a sizing die or universal decapper? I have a Lee universal decapping die and ordered some "hardened" pins for it on Amazon. They seemed to help with a lot of the crimped primers.

They most likely have a smaller flash hole I have been running into the same problem and that's what I have found it to be IIRC the head stamp is SAR or something like that. I had to turn down a decaping pin a little and that works Lee sells a reduced size pin for their universal decaping die. Hopefully this will help.

I ordered some range .223/5.56 brass to try my hand at loading for my AR. I've been able to get the spent primers out of all the cases with the exception of certain ones that have a red colored sealer on them. I've broke pins and bent the decapping rods on my .223 and 22-250 dies trying to get them out. Ordered new rods and spare pins and still no luck. Can I put a little heat on the primer/pocket and be safe?
Are you decapping using a progressive press? I know it's a chore, but take your time and ensure the pin is centered in the case before running the handle. I've had issues with broke pins doing that on military brass. Crimp and sealer really sticks primers in place. My suggestion is to get a decap die. Decap dies are only around 25 or so. Get a bag of extra pins and a rod or two to go with it. Take your time.

Many years ago when I first started reloading 223, the very first case I did broke the decapping pin. It was berdan primed. Since then I have reloaded 10s of thousands of 223 and have not run across another berdan primed 223 case since.

Are you decapping using a progressive press? I know it's a chore, but take your time and ensure the pin is centered in the case before running the handle. I've had issues with broke pins doing that on military brass. Crimp and sealer really sticks primers in place. My suggestion is to get a decap die. Decap dies are only around 25 or so. Get a bag of extra pins and a rod or two to go with it. Take your time.
For $49.00 you can get a jug of 1000 rounds of .223 brass from Cabela's. I'm pretty sure you've spent that already on replacement parts for your dies. Just a Thought.

For $49.00 you can get a jug of 1000 rounds of .223 brass from Cabela's. I'm pretty sure you've spent that already on replacement parts for your dies. Just a Thought.
It's been a learning experience for sure. I don't know if I would go down this same road again or not. Especially since I am having to do everything on a single stage press. I'll get pictures for everyone in a little while. I am using a RCBS universal decapping die but I did try my Lee sizing die and a RCBS 22-250 die on a couple. I'm thinking the small flash hole is the problem after thinking about it. I'll post again in a little while. Thank you for all your support and suggestions.

I looked online for the 1,000 rounds of brass for $49 and couldn't find them, do you have a link?

Last edited:
Yes, but what are you going to do if (and when) you find the cases that refuse to give up their spent primers? Buy a dedicated decap die and be done with it. Buy once, cry once.

This is the most bad *** decap die I've ever used. NEVER bent or broke a pin and decapped thousands of crimped in sealed primers. I should add that Ive even punched out small flash holes in lapua cases to the larger size by accident with this tank. There is also a primer pocket swage kit for this die as well as different size pins.

^^^ I use the same. Did tens of thousands of 223 and 308 LC Brass, and even with Hardened pins they would still bend and break . started using this Magnum decapping die and never had a problem since.

Photo_20230221230132.jpg
Photo_20230221230203.jpg