Primer sealant?

porkchop401

Does anybody use Primer sealant on thier hunting loads? If so are there any noticable changes in performance?What about sealing around the neck? I usualy load my practice ammo days before I shoot but but this year I want to load my hunting ammo this year a couple of months ahead and since i will be in no hurry was considering sealing for relibility. thanks in advance for your responce. Michael

As long as you keep your ammo somewhere other than IN THE RIVER....you wont have any sort of problems.

Military ammo is ( or at least WAS) sealed because god knows what climate or conditions it might be put into.

I agree that primer sealant is overkill. I've only seen it used when ammo may sit for many years (or in a river!) or when nutty doomsdayers bury 100000 rounds in wait for the machines to take over. And 4 spare magazines.

No offense, nutty doomsdayers.

Military ammo is sealed, front and rear, so it can survive submersion for weeks and function. We don't need that but there are companies who will sell you some costly lady finger nail polish to paint over primers and case mouths if you wish.

The point about ammo sitting for long periods is valid.

I myself started a similar sealant thread a couple years ago.

By the end of the discussion a prolific poster to this board had gone back and noticed that the primers needed slightly reseated to original depths....

I think another Platinum poster mentioned in another different thread that the firing pin to primer consistency had an impact as well on accuracy....greater than before surmised.

So if the primers can incrementally move enough that the accuracy could be impacted, then the sealant might have a value add.

However IMO, for these very small variances, the load would likely have to have .25moa accuracy at the onset to notice a deterioration due to this potential advent.

So for 99% of the time, the sealant is likely burdensome overkill step.

By the end of the discussion a prolific poster to this board had gone back and noticed that the primers needed slightly reseated to original depths....

I think another Platinum poster mentioned in another different thread that the firing pin to primer consistency had an impact as well on accuracy....greater than before surmised.

So if the primers can incrementally move enough that the accuracy could be impacted, then the sealant might have a value add.

However IMO, for these very small variances, the load would likely have to have .25moa accuracy at the onset to notice a deterioration due to this potential advent.

Thanks for providing this info. I have been wanting to store
a few thousand rounds just to have since you never know
these days. I wondered if they would still shoot reliably after
sitting in a closet for 20 yrs unsealed in a humid climate.

Primers dont move in REAL military ammo because...
1) its not once fired...its NEVER fired thusly the brass maintains enough tension to hold it in place
2) Primers are CRIMPED after installation. Ya can barely get them out AFTER first
firing..let alone while still live

CA48,

Not sure if this thread will have additional value for you but it is the one I was referencing earlier.

Here is the link....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/acrylic-primer-sealer-66333/

Aldon

Thanks, for posting the link I enjoyed reading it but its not
the one I was referring to. Although it got my wheels
turning. In that particular thread they had some good
therories of pressure build up and creating pressure when
seating the bullet. In my experience I don't think this would
cause enough pressure to back the primer out. I used to lube
my bullets before seating with a thin oil and after seating
you could see air pushing the oil out if you looked quick enough
in some cases. I've never heard of primers creeping out til
now. Just one more thing to worry about, thanks :rolleyes:.
My main concern was moisture after storing for a long period
Of time. I guess if it is possible for cases to build up pressure
you will definatley find out after sealing them up.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.