Score this fella

Lee7588

I took this photo a number of years ago and am curious how he would score

Attachments

• DSC02755~2.JPG
    DSC02755~2.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 370
Elk are so incredibly impressive looking, it can be deceiving. The thing to look at to keep from getting fooled, especially through binos or spotting scope are the G3s. I'd guess 345 based on the insanely long G2s. Very large and heavy G3s can clue in to a monster when guessing at range. Either way, a beautiful animal!

I happened to come across this picture on my hard drive. I took the picture 8years ago in Cherokee, NC where the Smokey Mountain National park and the Blue Ridge Parkway come together. At the time there was talk of having a few tags available.

I don't know the quality of elk in NC, but I would assume that is a monster for that area. Growing up in AZ, we were a bit spoiled in quality of elk. It didn't mean we could ever hunt them, lol, but seeing 370+ bulls wasn't uncommon.

I don't know the quality of elk in NC, but I would assume that is a monster for that area. Growing up in AZ, we were a bit spoiled in quality of elk. It didn't mean we could ever hunt them, lol, but seeing 370+ bulls wasn't uncommon.
That would suck. I help and buddy out doing a bass tournament for kids, I have captained a boat taking the kids out to fish but I can't fish. That is only for one day and it sucks, I can only imagine growing up in an area and seeing big boys and being able to get tags for them

I happened to come across this picture on my hard drive. I took the picture 8years ago in Cherokee, NC where the Smokey Mountain National park and the Blue Ridge Parkway come together. At the time there was talk of having a few tags available.
No tags or hunting them yet in NC.

That would suck. I help and buddy out doing a bass tournament for kids, I have captained a boat taking the kids out to fish but I can't fish. That is only for one day and it sucks, I can only imagine growing up in an area and seeing big boys and being able to get tags for them
Ha, that would drive me crazy on fishing as well, lol. I've always loved teaching kids to fish though. I feel like that's pure American. It doesn't get better than that. What's crazy on the giant elk I've seen in AZ, most that I've spotted are on the cliffs. It's unreal. For those that know what I'm about to say, it's the shelf face of the Mogollon Rim between 5A and 22. Deer and coyotes won't go in those areas, only elk. It's 100% goat country. I just can't believe an 800 lb animal is in those areas as well, and thriving, actually. In my best days, I would have never gone in those areas without ropes and certainly with no gear on. Not that I ever have, but it's true cliff climbing territory and not traversable. It's amazing what those animals can do. It's no secret they're my favorite. The glassing is epic if someone takes the time.

Ha, that would drive me crazy on fishing as well, lol. I've always loved teaching kids to fish though. I feel like that's pure American. It doesn't get better than that. What's crazy on the giant elk I've seen in AZ, most that I've spotted are on the cliffs. It's unreal. For those that know what I'm about to say, it's the shelf face of the Mogollon Rim between 5A and 22. Deer and coyotes won't go in those areas, only elk. It's 100% goat country. I just can't believe an 800 lb animal is in those areas as well, and thriving, actually. In my best days, I would have never gone in those areas without ropes and certainly with no gear on. Not that I ever have, but it's true cliff climbing territory and not traversable. It's amazing what those animals can do. It's no secret they're my favorite. The glassing is epic if someone takes the time.
I'd love to be able to get into an area like that just to do photography. To see something most won't ever get to see or could imagine finding the animals in the area

Elk are so incredibly impressive looking, it can be deceiving. The thing to look at to keep from getting fooled, especially through binos or spotting scope are the G3s. I'd guess 345 based on the insanely long G2s. Very large and heavy G3s can clue in to a monster when guessing at range. Either way, a beautiful animal!

No matter what it scores it's a pretty bull!

Off just one inch per every measurement and viola you're score is so screwed....just one of the many reason why I borderline detest the idea of scoring these critters. Plus when one only has one picture or one angle to go with it makes for pretty tough sledding.

I used to guide a fair bit in Montana, Wyo and Sonora and I can easily say that some silly number ruined more than a few clients days............to heck with the tape if you like it hunt it and take it with respect. Be nice if the record books kept the hunter names out of it, just score, date and state.

Just one mans thoughts.

No matter what it scores it's a pretty bull!

Off just one inch per every measurement and viola you're score is so screwed....just one of the many reason why I borderline detest the idea of scoring these critters. Plus when one only has one picture or one angle to go with it makes for pretty tough sledding.

I used to guide a fair bit in Montana, Wyo and Sonora and I can easily say that some silly number ruined more than a few clients days............to heck with the tape if you like it hunt it and take it with respect. Be nice if the record books kept the hunter names out of it, just score, date and state.

Just one mans thoughts.
I agree I just don't get to see enough elk to get an idea of what they score. I have no desire to have my name in any record book. I may shoot some big deer but the memories are with the people I shared the hunts with. I took my wife on her first hunt, she killed 130ish whitetail and it happened to be on her dad's 70th bday. And he was so happy.Now that is a great hunt.