Powderpuff Elk Hunt, Diane Scores Again!!

Broz

Today my wife and I headed out to fill her elk tag. She has become quite the shot on these elk over the last few years. Three seasons ago she shot her first ever elk with my 300 win at 425 yards. Last year she dumped one at 816 yards with my 338 Lapua. This year we put the sneak on this bunch of elk we spotted from a mile away. We got to a ridge, crawled out on top and went prone. We picked a cow close to the top of a steep hill and I ran the field conditions in Bryan's Applied Ballistics app. The cow of choice (a big one) was at 585 yards. Wind was from 8:00 and at 3 mph. I dialed the scope while she settled in on the elk. 8.75 up and .75 left for windage. She said "right behind the shoulder right?" I said "Yep, 1/2 way up the elk and tight behind the shoulder because she is angling away". Diane says " I'm on her" "OK, send it when your ready"...........Boom and the cow dropped to the ground and started rolling down the hill. Diane got back on her and says..... Poor thing...:D the cow rolled about 75 yards and came to rest by a tree. Dead!! Dead!! Double dead!!. We hiked back to the truck and drove close. Then we drug her up with some rope and a truck.
The shot placement was great, the cow was dead instantly, and no ruined meat. Rifle was my 300 win with a 215 Berger Hybrid.
Here is the happy hunter with her cow. I am very proud of her shooting!!

Jeff gun)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSC04212.jpg

Last edited:
Today my wife and I headed out to fill her elk tag. She has become quite the shot on these elk over the last few years. Three seasons ago she shot her first even elk with my 300 win at 425 yards. Last year she dumped one at 816 yards with my 338 Lapua. This year we put the sneak on this bunch of elk we spotted from a mile away. We got to a ridge, crawled out on top and went prone. We picked a cow close to the top of a steep hill and I ran the field conditions in Bryan's Applied Ballistics app. The cow of choice (a big one) was at 585 yards. Wind was from 8:00 and at 3 mph. I dialed the scope while she settled in on the elk. 8.75 up and .75 left for windage. She said "right behind the shoulder right?" I said "Yep, 1/2 way up the elk and tight behind the shoulder because she is angling away". Diane says " I'm on her" "OK, send it when your ready"...........Boom and the cow dropped to the ground and started rolling down the hill. Diane got back on her and says..... Poor thing...:D the cow rolled about 75 yards and came to rest by a tree. Dead!! Dead!! Double dead!!. We hiked back to the truck and drove close. Then we drug her up with some rope and a truck.
The shot placement was great, the cow was dead instantly, and no ruined meat. Rifle was my 300 win with a 215 Berger Hybrid.
Here is the happy hunter with her cow. I am very proud of her shooting!!

Jeff gun)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSC04212.jpg
I got a good laugh from the "Poor thing" statement.

Congrats on a great shot.

Congratulations............again............ Oddly enough I can remember reading about her first....... My wife is following the same progression. It is a beautiful thing to see come together.

Pretty cool. I think after the first of the year I'm going to break down and order one of those thumbhole stocks.

They are light, everyone raves about the feel and they reduce recoil. It also has a very high rolled over cheek weld. I am fond of it to say the least. It is the McMillan Lazaroni thumbhole. I see they offer another one now but I believe it has a lower check weld. I would prefer the taller one.

Jeff

Nice job! Did the berger exit?

This rifle and bullet combination is 14 and 0 on big game this season. The ones on elk under 600 yards have not exited but the ones at 650,777, 805, 972, 1005 and 1285 on elk and all on antelope have exited with nice exits. None of the 14 animals have taken more than a few steps and most went straight down. The deepest penetration we have measured was on a bull elk at 200 yards. It angled in getting a rib and stopped just short of an exit on the far side shoulder. We stuck a tape in after skinning and the channel was 26" deep. But on elk and deer if under 600 with the velocity we are at (3050) expect a .308 entrance and all vitals destroyed. After 650 look for at exit with of 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" hole. Even the goat at 1285 had great expansion. This is a great long range hunting bullet that also works well up close.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts