Powderpuff Elk Hunt, Diane Scores Again!!

You are quite the coach Jeff. Your ability to setup a shot is pretty amazing. One of these days I'd like to hunt with you. The short period of time you worked with me really helped my confidence on long shots. Now I just need to find that elk to put the 338 on! :D

Congrats to both of you.

--md

Jeff and Diane,

Whooo Hoooo!!!

What a team!!!!

Diane,
I looking forward, when things turn colder to breaking out that neck warmer. It's a good one! Thanks!!!

Jeff,
Thanks for posting the stock info. I'm in the market as my stock on the 270 is fine but the cracks where bond meets tupperware is unbecoming.:rolleyes:

jeff, maybe you ought to starting cutting notches in that stock.
And why would you have to "sneak" up on it after spotting it a mile away?
What is up with that?
Just sayin.................

That is awesome by the way--congrats!!
And i'm kinda thinkin that you have one BIG freezer.

Randy

This rifle and bullet combination is 14 and 0 on big game this season. The ones on elk under 600 yards have not exited but the ones at 650,777, 805, 972, 1005 and 1285 on elk and all on antelope have exited with nice exits. None of the 14 animals have taken more than a few steps and most went straight down. The deepest penetration we have measured was on a bull elk at 200 yards. It angled in getting a rib and stopped just short of an exit on the far side shoulder. We stuck a tape in after skinning and the channel was 26" deep. But on elk and deer if under 600 with the velocity we are at (3050) expect a .308 entrance and all vitals destroyed. After 650 look for at exit with of 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" hole. Even the goat at 1285 had great expansion. This is a great long range hunting bullet that also works well up close.
Jeff

Is the 3050 fps with the 215 Hybrid? You probably mention it somewhere, but what is the length of your win mag barrel? Fantastic velocity.

And that really is amazing to hear how well the Berger performs. Very few of us here have a chance to "test" a bullet so thoroughly... sure cannot argue with your results.

Is the 3050 fps with the 215 Hybrid? You probably mention it somewhere, but what is the length of your win mag barrel? Fantastic velocity.

And that really is amazing to hear how well the Berger performs. Very few of us here have a chance to "test" a bullet so thoroughly... sure cannot argue with your results.

Yes, it is 3050 with a 215 Hybrid. The rifle has a 28" Broughton 5C and has always had great velocity. But the 215's are running 60 fps faster than it did with 210 VLD's and with a lesser charge weight. Also it should be noted I am using 300 win Lapua brass.

Jeff

Yes, it is 3050 with a 215 Hybrid. The rifle has a 28" Broughton 5C and has always had great velocity. But the 215's are running 60 fps faster than it did with 210 VLD's and with a lesser charge weight. Also it should be noted I am using 300 win Lapua brass.

Jeff

Jeff, Just to reconfirm...what was was your MV with the 230g OTM? And, with a 26" 300RUM, you still think you'd go with the 230g OTM over the 215g Hybrid? My load with my 300RUM and 210g VLDs has been running at 2993fps MV, but I've always thought that 210g was just a bit light to take full advantage of the RUM case size, which is hindered here a bit with a 26" barrel anyway, so...

Jeff, Just to reconfirm...what was was your MV with the 230g OTM? And, with a 26" 300RUM, you still think you'd go with the 230g OTM over the 215g Hybrid? My load with my 300RUM and 210g VLDs has been running at 2993fps MV, but I've always thought that 210g was just a bit light to take full advantage of the RUM case size, which is hindered here a bit with a 26" barrel anyway, so...

We are still using the 230's in my sons 28" Broughton barreled 300 win. The MV is 2775 fps. Tomorrow we will be out early whacking a cow with it for his freezer.

Well, if you load the 215's with a little less charge weight you will probably get just over 3000. That would make your rum about the same as my 300 win. So if you like the results in my other thread go for it. I see the 215's like this, awesome long range bullet to way out there where the 300's are done like at 1300 yards. But below 650 on elk don't expect an exit. Antelope yes. So for the closer shots you need to put them in the vital area or at least close. But if you want more exits at closer distances and a bigger bullet go with the 230's

Jeff

We are still using the 230's in my sons 28" Broughton barreled 300 win. The MV is 2775 fps. Tomorrow we will be out early whacking a cow with it for his freezer.

Well, if you load the 215's with a little less charge weight you will probably get just over 3000. That would make your rum about the same as my 300 win. So if you like the results in my other thread go for it. I see the 215's like this, awesome long range bullet to way out there where the 300's are done like at 1300 yards. But below 650 on elk don't expect an exit. Antelope yes. So for the closer shots you need to put them in the vital area or at least close. But if you want more exits at closer distances and a bigger bullet go with the 230's

Jeff

If you had a choice between the 215 and the 230 for quick, close (100yds or under) sneaking through trees on elk, which would you choose and why?

Last edited:
If you had a choice between the 215 and the 230 for quick, close (100yds or under) sneaking through trees, which would you choose and why?
Just wonderin what your reason is for a 300 RUM shooting 210+ grain bullets for close range sneaking through the trees? Not trying to be offensive, as my dads elk rifle is a 300 rum shooting 180 grain ttsx, not even close to a long range setup. Our reason is (stealing this from tikkamike) "anything less than overkill is under achievement" :D

The 230's, I feel the OTMs will give more exits up close.

Jeff

That's what I figured. I want this rig to be a good rifle out to 1/2 mile or so, but also want this particular rifle to function well on elk on close range sneaking through the trees. Thanks for giving me your take on it, Jeff. Jon

Does that answer your ?, Riley?

That's what I figured. I want this rig to be a good rifle out to 1/2 mile or so, but also want this particular rifle to function well on elk on close range sneaking through the trees. Thanks for giving me your take on it, Jeff. Jon

Yup, I like a rifle that does it at both ends of the spectrum, and everything in between .gun)

Jeff

Yep, gotcha

Just wonderin what your reason is for a 300 RUM shooting 210+ grain bullets for close range sneaking through the trees? Not trying to be offensive, as my dads elk rifle is a 300 rum shooting 180 grain ttsx, not even close to a long range setup. Our reason is (stealing this from tikkamike) "anything less than overkill is under achievement" :D

Riley, Short answer is stuff happens. Most of my life when I set up long range something always pops up close. I set up on a deer crossing at 200 plus when I was about your age. I had a nice little hole in the brush with a log for a rest. killed a deer the other side of the log. Close enough to splatter my hat.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.