Scope with .338 lapua any ideas ?

DUKESTER1

I've been holding onto a Swarovski Z6 Series 2.5-15x56 Riflescope w/BR Reticle for a year now and am planning on getting a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter .338 Lapua Mag. Wondering if this scope would make a good fit on this rifle, or if I need to look into possibly a higher mounting rail or any other ideas. Or if there are any oppinions on this set up, good or bad. How far do you think this set up would be accurate. Thanks

What kind of adjustment knobs does it have? How much internal adjustment does it have? How far do you plan on shooting with your setup? I did a search of that scope and it looks like a normal hunting scope that most hunters use. Answer those couple questions and we should be able to help you out a little better.

Looking at the website ballistic calculator it has internal adjustments out to almost 800 yrds. I guess the .338 would be a good choice for that. If I want to go further I need to get a ballistic turret added Which they sell for this scope, only issue is would the 15 power be good for any more distance.

I have shot well at 1000-1100 yards with 15x. I would think that scope would get you quite a bit further than 800 yards especially with a 20 moa base . With my 338 edge and 300 gr SMK 4 inches high at 100 yards, 20 moa will get me to 1000 yards.

The scope should hold together fine. To maintain accuracy you need quality steel mounts. I have had ring bases shear right off with the cheap QMR Leupold. I went to the Mark 4 Rings with steel bases. They are pricey. Brownells have some really good steel bases and rings. The TPS Products brand are fabulous and less dollars. They are machined to 1/10,000. I would still lap the rings. I like the one piece pidkatinny base that is thick. You get the rings mounted on the same plane. You will need a little height any way.
I use red locktight on the base, blue on the ring screws. Lastly, I use Brownells resin dust on the ring interiors and tube of the scope. Blow it off after application with your finger.

Favorite rings are the TPS, Mark 4, Farrell.

Brownells is great to do business with. Very Liberal return policy. They ship fast. Priority mail is the fastest.(hard to believe!)

I see the rings and base in the store, do you think the base on the savage should be replaced, or is it the same . Or is this base taller to acomidate the scope. Just worried the scope may hit the barrel.

YOU are going to have to measure everything. the on line Brownells catalog has dimensions. You can possibly call them and ask for the tech. He will help pick out the products. Sometimes the scope manufacturer has charts. I have no idea what bases you have on the savage.

You should be fine with the base it comes with, re torque it and get the correct rings to give you some clearance for the objective. I shoot out past 1400 yards on 14x but I use my good eye :D

If you have the dough and do not mind the weight, the S&B 5-25x56 is the one. Tough, gobs of internal elevation (designed to be used with a 45moa base), and reliable. The negatives are some tunneling at low power, $$$, and weight (which might be a good thing on a 338!). A variety of reticle choices as well and a FFP reticle.

Yes I was debating in a scope with more power. I have this new swarovski that was a gift from my wife 2300.00 new and were I'm hunting in Florida Im not going past 1000 yds. I guess I just want to be able to shoot further lol. Not sure why, call it absevive compulsive I guess. If I had the place to shoot I would probably be going for 3000 yds but cant do it. I just love shooting and have always wanted one that will shoot as far as I can see. Hope this set up works. I have also changed my mind from the 11/111 Long Range Hunter, to the 10/110 FCP HS Precision. I like the stock better, what do you think? Is it worth the extra bucks?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.