Need to put a scope on my 22-250, any ideas?

Hi, new here but thought I would try and help. I have a Nikon Monarch 5-20x and they are good scopes. My preference though is Weavers. I have 3 6-24x Weaver V24s. (I think I gave $330 each for them) I think they compare very well with scopes costing hundreds more.

I haven't had a chance to use them at anything over a hundred yards but they have worked great for me.
Dallas Jack

Re: Savage Mdl 12, 22-250?

Just received ownership of a pre-accutrigger Savage mdl 12 in like new condition with a cheapo Simmons 9x scope. I could not believe the price for this gun. I guess the folks need the money, but oh well.
Now the question is how much scope to add on top? Am looking at a range of 4-6 x 16-20 x 40-50mm. This thing will be used for coyotes and prairie muts at range.
Also I would like to ask what ammo would be best to use for this purpose?
I have not owned a 22-250, 223 but they run out of wind at 300yrds so I want to go out there futher.

Thanks.

As far as ammo is concerned you will have to know what the twist rate is. If it is a 1:9 twist then you will be able to go up to 75 maybe 80 grain bullets. If it is a 1:12 twist then you are limited to 40-60grn bullets. To be on the safe side I would look for ammo in the 50-65grn range. You will just have to shoot different manufactures to see what it likes.

I like the Nikon Buckmaster series. I like and use the 6-18x40 side focus with target dot. I like to be able to twiddle turrets, so that is my choice. This would be enough magnification to get you as far as that rifle will shoot accurately. Another option would be the Bushnell 6-24x50 4200 Elite Tactical, and the 3200 Elite tactical. I also one day hope to purchase a Vortex Viper. I really like their reticules. Hope this helps.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.