Need to put a scope on my 22-250, any ideas?

EJN

Gentlemen,

I just picked a new Kimber Longmaster VT 22-250. Do you guys have any recommendations as to who/what scope to mount on the rifle? My budget is $600-$800.00. I plan on doing, varmit hunting and longrange target shooting. Any ides?

Thanks

EJN

For varmints and targets, I'd think you'd be fine with a 40-44mm objective lens. A fixed 10X will work, but for small prairie dogs at distance or bullseyes several hundred yards out, I like a bit more magnification (some don't). I'd lean towards anything from 4.5-14 to 6.5-20.

Lots of good brands and models to choose from. I'm going to avoid going down that road.

I have looked at Bushnell and Leupold, anyone out there have a Nikon that you like? Is the Nikon Monarch as as good as a Bushnell 4200 or a Leupold VX3?

EJN,
I initially said Leupold, as that's a classy scope for a classy rifle. I recently bought a Nikon BuckMaster 6-18X40 SF and target dot and I am really impressed with the optics and the internals of the scope. It made hitting a metal gong at 650yds so easy my 17yr nephew hit the first shot. Very dependable scope. JohnnyK.

+1 for the Nikon. I have it on my Savage 12bvss in 22-250. And I can't say anything really bad about it. other than I would stay away from there BDC retical. I'm not a big fan.
Other than that its an awesome scope for the money!

The only problem with the Nikons is their lack of elevation travel. A friend of mine put one of those high magnification Nikons on his 308 and can only get to 500 yards with a 10MOA base and that's using 155 gr. bullets. He tried using a 20 MOA base but could not zero at 100 yards. If I were you I would save for a Leupold. The VXII 6-18X40 EFR is a great scope for the money.
Leupold 6-18x40 VX-II Riflescope

If you shop around you can find it for about $400-$500 range.

-X3M

The only problem with the Nikons is their lack of elevation travel. A friend of mine put one of those high magnification Nikons on his 308 and can only get to 500 yards with a 10MOA base and that's using 155 gr. bullets. He tried using a 20 MOA base but could not zero at 100 yards. If I were you I would save for a Leupold. The VXII 6-18X40 EFR is a great scope for the money.
Leupold 6-18x40 VX-II Riflescope

If you shop around you can find it for about $400-$500 range.

-X3M

Not sure of your friends setup, but I always use a 20MOA and have no problems zeroing at 100yrds. Matter of fact my current 308 with 135grn SMK's zero's nicely. With the 155's, if he can't zero, as long as it is shooting high, figure out what his zero is and be thankful he has full range of the adjustment. That will give him about 60MOA which should be plenty to shoot as far as he needs to with a .308.

Tank

Burris black diamond 6x24x50. These scopes are on all my rifles with unparalleled performance. These scopes have all the high end features without the high cost. Side parallax adjustment, 30mm body, ballistic mill dot reticle, target knobs, great optics, and will hold zero with the most powerful of recoils. Best of all its made in u.s. (colorado) with a life time warranty. Hope this helps. Capt kurt

Savage Mdl 12, 22-250?

Just received ownership of a pre-accutrigger Savage mdl 12 in like new condition with a cheapo Simmons 9x scope. I could not believe the price for this gun. I guess the folks need the money, but oh well.
Now the question is how much scope to add on top? Am looking at a range of 4-6 x 16-20 x 40-50mm. This thing will be used for coyotes and prairie muts at range.
Also I would like to ask what ammo would be best to use for this purpose?
I have not owned a 22-250, 223 but they run out of wind at 300yrds so I want to go out there futher.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.