Scope selection

Mrschwass07

Hey guys new to forum looking for some input on a scope. Just bought the bergara b14 hmr in 6.5 creedmoor. Not sure what size scope to buy for this caliber looking to reach out to 800 yds one day... looking at either the nightforce shv 4-14x50 f1 or the shv 5-20×56. Or vortex viper pst gen 2 5-25×50 ffp. I donty know much about scopes so not sure if I would even see the difference in the first focal plane but dont mind spending the xtra money if u guys think its worth it. Please any help is much appreciated!

Welcome to LRH!
In order to answer your questions, you'll need to add a little more information.
For example, what are you planning to shoot at 800 yards, what is your rifle shooting experience level, etc.
Also, there are several threads about the differences between FFP and SFP. Simply use the 'Search' tab above, next to the 'Classified' tab.

Good luck and enjoy!

Ron

Most any tactical scope with minimum 14x that tracks well will get the job done. If you're wanting to get to 800 consider your range finder, you need something decent enough. I use a bushnell 1mile arc, would probably go with a sig 2200 now, also I would look at a kestrel, otherwise your just hoping you have the right environmental data and wind dope

^^^^ and read the stuff on F1 vs F2 as they are certainly different. As for glass, I get better resolution and low light from the NF vs the Viper line. Probably looking at the Razor line to get to a similar level with the Vortex - though I really like their scopes. Hard to beat the SHV for the money as you get NXS glass just without some of the bells and whistles. Always believe get the best you can afford. Either will work to 800.

I put a VX5HD 3-15x44 on my new Seekins Havak Creedmoor. It's a great combination of fast handling and long range precision well past your 800 yard requirement. The VX5HD has crystal clear optics and weighs in at 19 oz compared to 30+ oz commonly found with your other choices.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.