Scope Ring Selection Help

Thank you for providing me with that material! So, I'm thinking for my application I am going to stay with the weaver style base. I am going to start by purchasing medium height rings and lower/raise if necessary. So, I am still left with a few questions. Do all scope rings require lapping? I don't have a lapping kit and would like to avoid purchasing one just for this install. Also, still trying to narrow down which rings...

That's why I use Burris signature rings with inserts, no lapping required.

+1 on burris signature rings. Bed a good rail with epoxy and put in the inserts for the amount of correction you will need to get to the elevation correction for that max distance you plan to shoot. In your 7 mag that would be 25moa for 1000yds 15 for 700 10 for 500. This way your reticle will be in the center of the optical system for optimum performance. If the reticle is not centered your more likely to not correct the parralax completely out of the image and cause a miss for what seems to be an unknown reason. Shooting inside of your max distance your correction can be off but it isn't compounded by distance.
If you put a rail on with correction ie a 20moa rail only put 5moa in the rings max. One advantage would be if the scope is centered on the windage but shooting left or right a bunch. You can use the inserts to correct that to again keep the turret centered.

I have read all the de greasers listed but I have found that M.E.K. is far and away the
BEST! It's the only one I use. Remember this is very strong! I use gloves and eye protection. Brake cleaner and rubbing alcohol.. nothing else is even close!
And I follow the instructions! If it says torque it to 45 inch pounds 55 IS NOT BETTER!!
They made them and they know how to install them..
I like actions with the rail machined not bolted on?

I have read all the de greasers listed but I have found that M.E.K. is far and away the
BEST! It's the only one I use. Remember this is very strong! I use gloves and eye protection. Brake cleaner and rubbing alcohol.. nothing else is even close!
And I follow the instructions! If it says torque it to 45 inch pounds 55 IS NOT BETTER!!
They made them and they know how to install them..
I like actions with the rail machined not bolted on?
Get stuff for removing cosmoline but remember MEK will dissolve any other organic material like plastic or rubber, so make sure you don't get it anything other than metal. Plus is it extremely flammable.

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 scope that is going to be mounted on my Winchester model 70 7mm rem mag. I was curious what rings would be recommended for use with this rifle? I was told that the Vortex Pro 30mm low rings would be an option, but I am unsure what mounting height (low, medium, high) I need and if buying the Vortex brand is worth it? Thank you in advance.

I have the same scope and use Signature Zee ring and have no issues in 5 years. I would use them again happily.

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 scope that is going to be mounted on my Winchester model 70 7mm rem mag. I was curious what rings would be recommended for use with this rifle? I was told that the Vortex Pro 30mm low rings would be an option, but I am unsure what mounting height (low, medium, high) I need and if buying the Vortex brand is worth it? Thank you in advance.
I personally have been using burris posi align signature rings for years...probably 20 years or more...time flies. Been converting my old mounts over. The most brutal testament is my contender 4570 with a burris 1-4 scope and my 223 contender. These are 1" rings with only 2 cap screws!!!. Two rings hold those scopes.
I have them on my 300 win mag sporter and all my varmint rifles. All have brakes now but the slings held in a 220 Swift and 243 even before they had brakes. I have it on a 243 coyote rifle without a brake. All big heavy varmint scopes. 6.5-20. 6-24x50. They hold, and are stable. Never needed taller than the medium rings for 50mm scopes. Use burris xtr steel bases first or Warne or Leupold. Burris has more slots, look cool and fit perfect. If you like the tactical look use the xtr posi align rings. The standard rings are slim and probably look more appropriate on sporter rifles. 30mm rings have 4 screws on caps. Trust me!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.