Scope selection

Blacktail

I have a 7mm STW I had built and havent had much of an opportunity to shoot much distacne killed a few deer out to 350 with it. I switched to a leu 4.5-14-40 CDS and had the opportunity to shoot 500 yards and tried the turret after a couple windage corrections was pretty happy. unfortunately i realized anything past 500 yards would probably need more magnification. What scope would u guys suggest? i was kicking around the huskemaw idea but kind of pricy and heavy compared to leupolds. maybe a cds in a 16 or 18 power? throwing the 14 on my .270. thnx

I have the same problem with my rapid Z-800 reticle on small targets past about 500 (with a zeiss). I find the reticle too thick for the precision I desire, and also have more magnification in mind. I looked at a 5.5-22 power nightforce scope with an NP-R1 reticle....very fine, and lighted if you need it. It is spendy, but very good glass, and a top choice IMO for the features. The husky I believe still has a very thick reticle if I remember from my research. Anything that would hinder my close shooting with a 5.5 power would be a hindrance on 4.5 power, so the close range argument really isn't a valid one, but having more magnification for those 300+ yard shots (especially where you are laid up prone and can use the scope as a form of a spotting scope in lieu of binos) can really be an asset. It also appeared that the rapid Z-1000 reticle in the zeiss offering was somewhat finer than the RZ800 and came in a 20 power offering. I may give this a second look as well, and Zeiss glass is far better than any leupy, husky, or nikon side by side IMO...

I have the same problem with my rapid Z-800 reticle on small targets past about 500 (with a zeiss). I find the reticle too thick for the precision I desire, and also have more magnification in mind. I looked at a 5.5-22 power nightforce scope with an NP-R1 reticle....very fine, and lighted if you need it. It is spendy, but very good glass, and a top choice IMO for the features. The husky I believe still has a very thick reticle if I remember from my research. Anything that would hinder my close shooting with a 5.5 power would be a hindrance on 4.5 power, so the close range argument really isn't a valid one, but having more magnification for those 300+ yard shots (especially where you are laid up prone and can use the scope as a form of a spotting scope in lieu of binos) can really be an asset. It also appeared that the rapid Z-1000 reticle in the zeiss offering was somewhat finer than the RZ800 and came in a 20 power offering. I may give this a second look as well, and Zeiss glass is far better than any leupy, husky, or nikon side by side IMO...

Thnx i was looking at the NF as well as the leupold 6-20. My reticle wasnt too bad just had trouble with power. Maybe just getting older and cant see so good..lol

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.