Scope Question

Thanks guys for the info. Reason I was asking is I have a 7mm stw and the table I'm using says a 12.5in drop at 500yds.if your sighted in at 200 yds. in my old and feeble mind that's turning turret about 25 or so clicks. Not sure if this is correct or not.
Im not sure where you are getting your drop at 500 from....but I think you might want to check it again...should be closer to 36+ inches

A 140 Accubond loaded to 3400 fps (Nosler load data) will drop less than 30" @ 500 with a 200 yard zero. It would take a 400(ish) yard zero to get the 12" drop at 500.

A 140 Accubond loaded to 3400 fps (Nosler load data) will drop less than 30" @ 500 with a 200 yard zero. It would take a 400(ish) yard zero to get the 12" drop at 500.

LOL! That's why I provided the chart in #11 and asked the OP's table reference that is showing a 12.5" drop at 200 yards. Did not want to further confuse the OP where it need to be zeroed to get the 12.5" drop. A 12.5" drop with a 200 yards zero requires some serious velocity ...

394 yard zero.JPG

394 yard zero A.JPG

I'm pretty sure it's just some misunderstanding.

I gotcha FEENIX, but judging by the op question I can tell he hasn't much experience in the matter. I think the misunderstanding of 1/4" vs 1/2" @ 200 isn't as big an error as 2 feet of drop at 500. One is a miss of a thumb tack, the other's a miss of a bull elk. Sometimes we, as seasoned LR shooters, take these things for granted.
No offense intended to the original poster, you don't know what you don't know. Asking questions shows a desire for knowledge.

I gotcha FEENIX, but judging by the op question I can tell he hasn't much experience in the matter. I think the misunderstanding of 1/4" vs 1/2" @ 200 isn't as big an error as 2 feet of drop at 500. One is a miss of a thumb tack, the other's a miss of a bull elk. Sometimes we, as seasoned LR shooters, take these things for granted.
No offense intended to the original poster, you don't know what you don't know. Asking questions shows a desire for knowledge.

Aye Sir! I hope he re-engages as we are here to help him better understand and succeed that best we can.

Thanks guys for all the info. You all where right about the drop. Shot at 500yds today and had to dail 27 clicks to get it on. Now just need to find some place with a little more range to get it figured out. Would love to get stretched out to 1000yds.

Aye Sir! I hope he re-engages as we are here to help him better understand and succeed that best we can.
Thanks Feenix you and Brovo4 were absolutely right I don't know what I don't know. I am new to distant shooting and just trying to figure it out. Everybody that has posted to my question has been great with resources in helping a newbie learn. Took gun out yesterday and shot at 500yds only 2nd time I've ever shot that far. 1st time wasn't my gun but guide in montana who let me shoot a cow mule deer at 500yds. That's what got me hooked on long range hunting. Have only had my 7mm stw for about a month great round I'm just learning to shoot out to 500yds and better. Again thanks for the advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.