Scope question.

WBloechle

Hello!

I just moved to Fairbanks, Alaska and recently bought a new .300 Sendero. I have little experience shooting past 400m, but plan on getting more involved in long-range shooting/hunting. I've set aside around $2.5k - $3k for a scope, and I'd like to poll some experienced shooters. Given this budget would you recommend for a scope and rings?

Thanks!

I like my Nightforce NXS but I hear a lot of good things with the ATACR. I got a 30moa rail on my 338 but could have gotten away with a 40 moa scope base. I use the accuracy first scope level and plain out love the thing.

+1 on the NF ATACR - Honestly, I bought mine a few weeks ago and don't have it mounted yet due to my gun being at the gunsmith to get the barrel coated. I got a used NXS around the same time, but sent it off to Idaho to get a matching MOAR reticle put in it before I could do any comparisons between the two, but the ATACR is suppose to have a little better glass and it has a bigger tube. If you have set aside that much money you might as well get it over the NXS. These are my first NF scopes so my opinion is probably worthless compared to others, but everything you hear is good about them from almost everyone. With the kind of money you've set aside some would tell you to put in a few dollars more and go with S&B. I've personally never looked through one, but they sound like they are flawless. I however, have little interest in one due to them not having a MOA version. It's what I'm use to so it's what I'll stick with. I will say that if you prefer mils to moa, you should probably check them out before you shell out your money. Also, I bought the NF ultralight rings to accompany my ATACR and just today ordered the flatline ops anti-cant device via the responses to a thread I posted on here regarding which one to get. Hope this helps, wish I were able to give you some more information based off of my experience with it, but I simply can't yet. Best of luck.

Nightforce 5.5x22 NXS with a 20 MOA base. All the scope you need for hunting. Rugged, good glass and plenty of elevation. You can turn it down to 5.5 for close or moving shots. Matt

Thanks for the info! I just ordered an ATACR & rings from Nightforce's MIL/LEO purchase program. Can't wait till it arrives and get a chance to dial it in.

- W

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.