Scope Question

More or less depends on 1/4" or 1/4 min clicks. Not exactly the same thing but close. Whatever the 100yd value is it will double at 200 if that makes sense.

Exactly.
Thanks for posting, I am sure that many will find this helpful. Angles with your DOPE. A bit of hard work but with practice becomes close to 2nd nature.

I have directory file which has tables and instructions for reloading, another for DOPE, another for methods of ...…

mainly two types of scopes/turrets
MOA minute of angle 1.04" @ 100 yards, has either 4 or 8 clicks per minute of angle
MIL milradian. 3.6" @100yard, 1 click 0.36" @ 100 yards.

You're right, I am anal and boring, my wife has assured me of this and she still loves me.

Last edited:
It took me a while to convince a buddy of mine to stop thinking in inches (or centimeters of whatever other linear measurement people like to use) and just think in angle measure. Minutes of angle or Milliradians depending on your preference. Once you get used to angle things are so much easier. Ideally your reticle and turrets use the same unit, and hopefully your scope manufacturer has built accurate calibrations. If you're spotting shots "what-you-see-is-what-you-get".

Thanks guys for the info. Reason I was asking is I have a 7mm stw and the table I'm using says a 12.5in drop at 500yds.if your sighted in at 200 yds. in my old and feeble mind that's turning turret about 25 or so clicks. Not sure if this is correct or not.

Thanks guys for the info. Reason I was asking is I have a 7mm stw and the table I'm using says a 12.5in drop at 500yds.if your sighted in at 200 yds. in my old and feeble mind that's turning turret about 25 or so clicks. Not sure if this is correct or not.

5(00) yards x 1.047=5.235 inches per 1 MOA.
12.5 inches divided by 5.235 = 2.387 MOA. Since most scopes are 1/4 minute clicks, round that off to 2 and a quarter MOA, for a total of 9 clicks.

OR
Drop table calculated in MOA says 2.387 MOA for 500 yards and you dial 9 clicks in half the time. Or less.

12.5" drop at 500 yards is pretty flat shooting, do you care to share the table you are referring to? Not sure what you load is but below is a factory ammo from Nosler ...

7mm stw ammo.JPG

This is also worth a watch

I also think if you are going to use the turrets to adjust your POI then its a good idea to make up a dope/drop card & stick it to the receiver or butt.
You do have to shoot at the distances & record the data as although calculators are close they are not exact & the further you shoot the more they are out generally.

Then you just need to use a rangefinder once the distance is worked out look at the card & turn the turret to the amount of clicks for that distance.

This is also worth a watch

I also think if you are going to use the turrets to adjust your POI then its a good idea to make up a dope/drop card & stick it to the receiver or butt.
You do have to shoot at the distances & record the data as although calculators are close they are not exact & the further you shoot the more they are out generally.

Then you just need to use a rangefinder once the distance is worked out look at the card & turn the turret to the amount of clicks for that distance.[/QUOTE

Most scopes at 1/4 which equals 0.25" at 100 yds, 0.5" at 200 yds and so on. Some acopes arw 1/8" at 100 yes.

It will also vary depending on muzzle velocity and bullet used. Some bullets drop faster than others so will need more clicks to compensate for their drop.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.