Scope mounting

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Iron Worker, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

What mounts and scope rings being used out there ?

2. Steyr Luxus

Steyr Luxus Well-Known Member

i've had good success with the Burris Custon Signature Zee rings in all sizes.

3. 6x6 elk

6x6 elk Well-Known Member

Leopold dual dovetails. They're rock solid!!

4. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

I use EGW rails and Leupold QD detachable rings

5. scottishkat

scottishkat Well-Known Member

What firearm do you want to mount the scope on and what purpose?

6. Iron Worker

I'm just curious what others are using ? I like Burris extreme tactical rings and Picatanny rails .

7. scottishkat

scottishkat Well-Known Member

I have scope mounts rails and rings and one piece. I used Leupold dovetail rings and bases for years both in one piece and 2 piece. I don't consider them to be much of a scope mount any more.

They were first designed around 1960 or 1950 I guess I don't know the design is probably older than I am. Leupold got them from Redfield and all they've done nothing to them since but make them cheaper IMO. I am not trying to start something!!!! They're still materially and functionally adequate in many cases.

I like the talley 1 piece for a mount on a medium range hunting rig their quality for the price is really good.

Lately I have been using mounts from near manufacturing. They make an all in one alpha hunter mount that is really outstanding has a 300.00 price tag IMHO is worth every penny.

I have 3 scopes mounted on near rails with seekins precision rings and nightforce ultralights and if you need a canted scope base that's probably about as good as it gets.

I have found after hunting and shooting more years than I care to count that quality optics are worth the investment and mounting a 1000.00 plus scope with 70.00 worth of bases doesn't make sense.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

8. Iron Worker

I was searching my stuff and found some Leupold Quick release rings. Mounted my scope and sighted in yesterday. I notice release lever moved a bit, so I turned it a bit, and it threw my sighting in session off the paper . I have the Burris extreme tactical on two other rifles ,so decided time to have them on three rifles and be done with it.