Scope mounting

john171

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and am looking for boots on the ground information so to speak. I'm building a new rifle and am struggling with option on scope mounting. I'm primarily a hunter looking for tough as nails performance. Family got me a CA Mesa in the 300WM for Christmas. Im topping it with a Leupold VX 5HD 3-15-44. Due to national back orders on everything gun related, I'm limited for now. So here's the question
Would I be better off with a one or two piece picatinny base with attached rings or one pieces base ring combos?
I hate the look of the picatinny over the bolt but ultimately want to build a rock solid weapon.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Personal preference.
We use One Piece Picatinny / MIL-STD-1913 Rifle Scope Mounts/Rail on most of our rifles. That way we can move scopes around from different rifles fairly easy and sight them in with previous scope information if you had mounted the scope previously. You can do the same with two-piece rails. Just purchase QUALITY Rails.

I would bed a picatinny rail to the action, and then use Vortex Precision Match Rings or Seekins (same thing). They are some very stout rings. Or ARC M10 rings also. I definitely recommend bedding a rail so you can use some rugged rings. Stay away from the ultralight talleys that mount right to the action.

My personal preference for my hunting rigs are rails and precision rings. On my CA Ridgeline I went with a Nightforce 20moa rail and Nightforce ultralight rings. On my APR custom rifles I use Seekins Rings and integrated rail. There are other good rings out there too like Badger and Vortex Precision (made by Seekins) just to name a few.

Boils down to what your goals for the gun are. Lightweight? Additional elevation from your rail? Quality/Budget. Packing a rifle through the mountains I want confidence in my equipment that if I bump it on a tree or drop it, my mounts are not going to shift.

I would bed a picatinny rail to the action, and then use Vortex Precision Match Rings or Seekins (same thing). They are some very stout rings. Or ARC M10 rings also. I definitely recommend bedding a rail so you can use some rugged rings. Stay away from the ultralight talleys that mount right to the action.
👆👆👆 This has worked very well for me too. I use a quality 1 piece 20 moa rail (Nightforce, Talley, Etc) And the Vortex/Seekins Precision Rings.

Awesome info everyone thank you. I want rock solid performance and there is a overwhelming support for the single rail system. Again I'm new to building quality preforming rifles. What does it mean to "bed" the rail?

It depends on the length of scope and how large a front objective bell. A rail system allows you more movement of the scope fore and aft for proper eye relief. Agree also that is handy for removing for a different scope.

Looking at a pic of your rifle now. It is a beautiful lightweight sporter. I would consider two non rail bases and rings. Something like a set of Leupold DD rings and bases are very nice and strong IF your scope fits within the parameters. In most situations the scope can be mounted lower than a rail system, which helps with your relatively low stock, you can get a good cheek weld without a stock pack or some other cheek riser and the system is lighter. I have this setup on a 9 lb sporter hunting rifle in 300 RUM, a 7 1/2 lb 338 RCM and a few other sporter weight rifles.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and am looking for boots on the ground information so to speak. I'm building a new rifle and am struggling with option on scope mounting. I'm primarily a hunter looking for tough as nails performance. Family got me a CA Mesa in the 300WM for Christmas. Im topping it with a Leupold VX 5HD 3-15-44. Due to national back orders on everything gun related, I'm limited for now. So here's the question
Would I be better off with a one or two piece picatinny base with attached rings or one pieces base ring combos?
I hate the look of the picatinny over the bolt but ultimately want to build a rock solid weapon.
Thanks for your suggestion.
I piece picatinny rail 20m

Recent Posts