Scope mounting

Farrell Industries, kenfarrell.com 1 piece rail and matched rings. Excellent quality. Definitely bed the rail. Rail bedding is not difficult.
Good advice from 257 STW. Here is the link to Broz website. Can't go wrong with his methods.

Spend as much as you can on the rail and rings. I like anything that adds stable rigidity to my action. I feel like a solid steel one piece rail, may not help but definitely doesn't hurt.

I prefer pic rail but have used a myriad of rings/ bases including Weavers. The main thing for a DIY is to get an alignment tool. I prefer two dowels machined to have flat ends rather than points. Ones like this although I have turned around Brownells alignment tool. A lapping tool is good too. http://www.kokopelliproducts.com/scopeb.html

I have the same set up CA Mesa and Leupold scope except in 7mm mag.
I went with the one piece Warne Mountain Tech 20 MOA and Leupold Back Country rings. Rock solid set up, and don't even notice the rail over the bolt while loading or extracting rounds. .3-.4 inch groups with handloads.

I believe both camps are correct. i.e. "It depends". If you need a 20 moa base, then you have to go 1 piece without doing some machine work and some math calculations. If you don't need a 20 moa base, then you can go 2 piece base, but you really, really should align the rings as best you can (that may even entail lapping the rings) so they align as perfectly as possible with each other before mounting the scope in the rings. There is usually less variance between the two rings if you use a 1 piece rail.

@john171 One piece rail for sure!

Also, I've been following this technique ever since @Barrelnut recommended it. Not a single issue since. Gives me A LOT of confidence in the solidarity of my mounting systems. Have Fun! đź‘Ť

I went with the one piece 20 MOA rail that Christensen carries on their website. I like how it has the little tabs that butt against the action, gives a little piece of mind on higher recoiling cartridges. Also not overly priced compared to some of the other high end rails out there. Went with Zeiss's new precision rings, which are nice but don't know if they are worth the cost. Will go Seekins most likely next time for rings.

I. Use. Two. Peice Leupold. Mounts ! Dual. Dovetails when they are available for the. Action ! Below is a. Weatherby Mark V in 270. Weatherby. Mag ,DD. Rings and Bases. Low rings I think . Maybe. Medium!! for the. Leupold VX3 4.5X to. 14X on a 30 mm. Tube sitting on the. Horns , and. Also. The. Leupold VX3. 8.5. To To 25X. Ona 30 mm. Tube with a. 50mm Objective lens ! This. Set up allowed me to shoot that rifle successfully out to1200. Yards at the. Bang steel shooting school! Plenty. Of. MOA adjustment! That was my. Very first time and. It went perfectly smooth !! You. Just. My. 2 cents !!

Attachments

• D651DDA6-08A9-45D0-AF68-1BE47DA24262.jpeg
    D651DDA6-08A9-45D0-AF68-1BE47DA24262.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • 7849DB0B-3A48-45A0-8124-A6BF79FA462B.jpeg
    7849DB0B-3A48-45A0-8124-A6BF79FA462B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
Do you guys use steel or aluminum rails for your hunting rig (R700 action)? Seems like most folks suggesting rails are using (quality) aluminum rings.