Scope mounting

That looks more like .030 than .062 but the angle the pic was taken can be deceiving ... From the picture I'd consider that a bit low and shoot for at least twice the shown clearance... Good luck.. Looks like a nice rig!

It is not too low for barrel scope interference, but would be if you use scope covers.
Maybe not with the Butler Creek covers which slip over the objective or eyepiece ends. With something like the Leupolds which are threaded you'd likely need to put the objective cover on before you mount the scope. I like mine so that I can screw in the objective lens cover with the scope mounted. Usually with a combination of 40, 42 or 44 mm objective bells and low or medium rings it's easy enough to do. I prefer too much clearance rather than too little. The eyepiece cover can be installed after the scope is mounted and focused. FWIW flip lever type eyepiece covers are pretty much set up for right handed shooters.
There are charts that show how various scope bell sizes and ring heights fit together. Of course barrel contour is also a factor as is how far forward the scope can be mounted..

That's way too close for comfort IMO. And the scope cover issue is something to remedy too.
I'd be interested to know what the scope manufacturer (or any scope manufacturer) would say if you presented them with that photo and your question.

That's way too close for comfort IMO. And the scope cover issue is something to remedy too.
I'd be interested to know what the scope manufacturer (or any scope manufacturer) would say if you presented them with that photo and your question.
I got the following response from my contact at Leupold.

"Unfortunately, I am unable to determine how big the gap is in your photograph to determine if it is the correct amount. As long as you can fit two business cards stacked on top of each other between the barrel and the bell of the riflescope you will be fine. You need that big of a gap to allow the proper distance for the movement of the barrel under recoil."

I think the OP is probably OK, unless he is shooting a .458 Win mag.

I got the following response from my contact at Leupold.

"Unfortunately, I am unable to determine how big the gap is in your photograph to determine if it is the correct amount. As long as you can fit two business cards stacked on top of each other between the barrel and the bell of the riflescope you will be fine. You need that big of a gap to allow the proper distance for the movement of the barrel under recoil."

I think the OP is probably OK, unless he is shooting a .458 Win mag.

Wow - that's very close. I would have thought that anything less than 1/8" would be inadvisable. I guess he is good to go unless he has an issue with scope covers.

Check weld is another important and overlooked consideration. I bought a custom rig that was all set up by the previous owner. After shooting it for a while, I noticed that I was forcing my cheek into the stock to get proper eye alignment. I put on a set of higher rings and the 40mm scope has noticeable clearance but it is much more comfortable to shoot.

IMO, the OP's scope is too close to the barrel. While contact under recoil may not be an issue, if ANY kind of debris(twigs, leaves, etc.) inadvertently/un-noticeably lodged between the barrel and scope, accuracy could be effected. I witnessed this a couple of seasons ago. Groups opened +2 inches from the effect on harmonics with a CF barrel.

How close is to close to the barrel? I mounted a scope and it a 1/16 from the bottom of the scope to the barrel.View attachment 372537
Unfortunately I can say you are probably too close.in my experience I have a rub mark on two scopes that I set very close. I guess the vibration when firing ? it really didn't hurt anything except my feelings and every time I remove the scope I am reminded of it!

I usually allow plenty of clearance.

z3i85ib.jpg

v39fm88.jpg

fkX5yem.jpg

This is a VX3-HD which is considerably shorter than a VX5-HD. There is adequate clearance between the scope bell and the rail.

ZMeLQRh.jpg

Another factor to consider is scope length. I have VX5-HDs 171715 which are 13.5 inches long and a VX3-HD which is 12.7 inches long. To get the proper eye relief one needs to mount the VX version somewhat farther back. Using low rings with a Pic rail might be an issue if the scope bell contacts the Pic rail. I got by lucky with the pictured setup using low rings. Generally I play it safe and get medium rings and avoid any issues.

Also a good reason to use the same scope on all of your rifles if you can.

ZMeLQRh.jpg

Last edited: