Scope mounting way off!

Sidecar... allow me to elaborate... I'm having a lapping bar made for me by a friend who is a machinist. I paid 35$ for the metal... he's turning it for free... in the end I'll have a lapping bar that is precise.. built exactly how I want it... for a quarter of the cost of buying the 35mm lapping kit kit. In addition... he's cutting off two lengths from the overall rod to make the plumb bobs that fit in the individual rings to check alignment... I'm not uninformed. Rather going about it a cheaper and better way. I simply didn't feel it necessary to explain that in the first place.

You need to 'explain' all the parameters involved in your issue and a forum, any forum that deals with your issue needs to be aware off all facets......

I apologize profusely, however, being a machinist and journeyman tool and die maker, and shop owner myself, I can say without any qualms that no 'turned bar' by any machine tool that turns steel or any material for that matter, will be as accurate as a centerless ground bar. Good luck on that. There is a good reason why drill stock is centerless ground. Concentricity and parallelism and neither is achieveable at the same tolerance level (or surface finish) as centerless grinding.

Keep in mind that when lapping anyrhing, both lapped surfaces degrade. While the softer of the 2 degrades (abrades faster), both abrade with the cutting action of the lapping compound. In other words, any lapping bar or tool has a finite life.

Nuff said on that.

I digress. Have at it. When it don't work out get the drill rod.

Sidecar... didn't mean to offend. I was just implying that the issue existed previously... and as part of my solution I was going to lap the rings. Thus I didn't feel it necessary to explain that part. I do appreciate your feedback... especially due to your experience in the trade. No apologies are necessary. I'm too easy going to get upset by a miscommunication over a forum. The lapping bar I'm having made does not necessarily need to last me forever... nor will it be some high tech piece of equipment. But it will have the level of precision necessary to lap two rings made from aluminum one time. If I were in your trade... or interested in gunsmithing as a profession I'd opt for the better metal. For now... this is cheap... precise enough... and will be dramatically better than doing nothing at all... agreed?

I agree with your premise. I'm not a gunsmith either and I don't as a rule, work on firearms except my own and occasionally for a friend...which, is always free I might add. There is too much inherent liability in fiddling with guns in the first place....

Besides, I'd feel extremely guilty if I reworked someone's rifle or handgun and something happened and it does because we are all human and humans tend to want to extend the limits of what is practical and safe....

We manufacture custom motorcycle parts and I have a couple patents on parts I make and the shop to make those parts in. I go to bed and dream up ideas and then make them reality. Something I've always done and it's a fun thing to do.

I understand what you want to accomplish and I was just suggesting options to make it less tedious and for you to have your desired result.

No problem whatsoever.

If you are off that far check your screw hole alignment. Take a string and lign it up with the rear screw holes, then lign it up with the bore of the rifle. If the front two screws sent on the string, they were drilled wrong at the factory. Savages are notorious for this.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.