Scope help for my 300 WM

Jaredk03

Hi, this is my first post here. I am just getting into the long range world, my longest shot to date was an elk at 396 yards last year. I recently bought a Sako A7 300 win mag for a long range elk rifle and I'm trying to decide on a scope for it. My top two choices are both Leupold VX-3i LRPs, but I keep going back and forth between the 4.5-14x50 or the 6.5-20x50. Which one would you pick for hunting and target shooting to 1000? The area I hunt is very open, so a shot of less than 100 yards is very unlikely. The main reason I am drawn to these scopes is the Impact MOA reticles for ranging elk (rangefinders don't work well here with the blowing snow) and the wind dots seem like a good option for being able to account for the wind without having to adjust turrets. I can get either of these scopes for around $800 new. The SWFA SS 3-15 MOA looks like a nice scope as well, but have never seen one in person. Does it compare to the Leupolds in quality? Any others I should consider in this price range with 1 MOA subtensions? Thanks in advance.

I personally would go with the 6.5-20 if you set on that particular scope. You have to take weight into account if its going to primarily be a hunting rifle although I can't imaging there's that much difference between the two. At 1000 yards I find myself wanting more than 14X magnification. I personally prefer right around 24-25X for 1000 yards but thats just me.

I just got my Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x44 with the HSR-4 reticle in it, and I have to say it is impressive. I haven't mounted it yet, just got it a few days ago, but clarity at low light is amazing, it's light and just great looking glass. It would be my vote..

SHM

I have an swfa 3-15 (mil version) on my 300wsm and really like it. It is durable amd repeatable and the glass is pretty good. I have a 6-24 Sightron siii on my 300wm. It is an awesome scope and the glass is great. I hunt in similar terrain in WY and both scopes serve me well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.