Scope Gap

ScopeRKT

Just mounted my scope onto to Sako. This is a 300 WM. How is this for gap? Should I be good to go or move to the next set of mounts? Using Sako Optilock Ringmounts not the rings and bases.

Attachments

• IMG_3196.jpg
    IMG_3196.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3198.jpg
    IMG_3198.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 52
Looks fine to me. As long as you can slip a folded piece of paper between the bell (objective) and the barrel, and as long as the scope is not touching the pic rail anywhere, you're good.

It's ok as long as the action screws are tightened correctly and nothing moves around under recoil . Also the scope objective it's self can flex up and down under recoil but I don't think 300 WM would cause much movement .
If you see any slight mark appearing on the scope at the potential contact point then that indicates it's hitting . I can't see it happening but I would monitor it for a while .

RKT, perhaps check clearance for scope cover. Can't tell if there's one on or not. They add a good bit to the space.

RKT, perhaps check clearance for scope cover. Can't tell if there's one on or not. They add a good bit to the space.
Yep.

On mine I like as little clearance as possible to avoid any contact between the scope/cover and barrel.

Especially when shooting prone a scope mounted too high can be a real pain in the neck (literally) to shoot.

I've had a couple that I ended up having to grind off the bottom of the scope cover to ensure proper clearance and a still preferred that to moving up to the next higher set of rings.

Since I started using the EGW heavy duty aluminum rails I haven't had any problems even with the 52mm Objectives and low rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.