Scope field evaluations on rokslide

Wait a second mister, I have references, where's this pop tart evaluation going on and where do I send my resume?
despicable-me-minions-lol-1bytr09oaz8qsffm.gif

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Most of the time I see a video of a manufacture's testing equipment, it's inside, in a shop/lab setting. It seems they are testing for some sort of breakage. This is not the same thing as testing for zero retention. I'm sure there's a way to check the reticle alignment in a lab setting, I just never see it in these paint shaker like promotional tests.

Orkan - I have no direct experience with TT scopes. I've heard many reports of great performance and near unparalleled glass quality. However, the reports on ring torque specs has caused me some concerns. It would seem to introduce a greater likelihood of the scope shifting in rings, if there was an impact on the scope. Can you shed some light on this for me?

Orkan - I have no direct experience with TT scopes. I've heard many reports of great performance and near unparalleled glass quality. However, the reports on ring torque specs has caused me some concerns. It would seem to introduce a greater likelihood of the scope shifting in rings, if there was an impact on the scope. Can you shed some light on this for me?
I haven't experienced this. I think it was only the 315M that folks were seeing affected, and only in the presence of a faulty ring with in excess of 25 in/lbs of force. This issue was created due to faulty rings (mostly) and rings with odd design features (in part) which in combination put strange pressures on the scope tubes. Essentially clamping the scope tube and bending it out of round in very specific places. These types of rings are an issue with nearly every scope made, though very few want to acknowledge it.

I even have a few of my 315M's mounted with 25 in/lbs in quality rings from before they put out the 15 in/lbs notice... and they still work fine. They certainly don't recommend it. Especially with faulty rings. (and there are more faulty rings out there than anyone wants to admit)

As per usual in these types of situations, I won't say which ones to avoid, but I'll say that I use Hawkins rings on everything these days, and in most applications I'll opt for the 6-screw "extreme" models. It's worth the extra couple ounces. Obviously those are unavailable for the 30mm tubes, and generally speaking I'll run the 5-25 or 7-35 for big game hunting on a magnum anyway. Yet, I've been running the hawkins lightweight alloy 30mm sets for a lot of years now and haven't had a 315M move yet when run at 15 in/lbs.

However it's important to note that I don't make a habit of carrying around 7lb 300 Ultra Mag rifles either. My hunting rifles weigh on average 11-14lbs. Were I in that situation, I'd buy a second set of rings and run a 3rd or 4th (if room) ring on there. From my experience, if the recoil is high enough, and the rifle light enough, there's not 4-screw top ring made that will hold a scope with just 2 of them. Not unless you legitimately epoxy the tube to the bottom ring half. So doubling up, is the best way to handle extreme situations. I recall nightforce making a set that has 8 screws, or basically 2 rings, joined up at the front. I think I recall badger doing one like that as well. So in the heaviest recoil situations, I'd be taking drastic measures. A guy that only shoots it 10 times a year could probably just run a normal setup... but if you expect the scope to stay put with repeated use with that kind of recoil, it MUST be mounted firmly.

Regarding the Tangent Theta scopes themselves, they are at the tip of the pyramid in every respect. There is nothing better out there at this time. We keep them in stock always.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Tangent Theta has the most sophisticated rifle optics testing equipment I've ever seen. Some of it is so specialized they don't show anyone what it is.

When Mr. Throw Your Rifle On The Ground said tangent theta's failed his testing, I had a ton of people asking about it. I just sent them some of the videos Armament has released on how they validate their scopes.

I have so many Tangent Thetas that I'd have to go count them all to know. Old ones, new ones, and everything in between. None have ever given me a lick of problem, on anything. That's saying something, considering the standard I demand is higher than most anyone. Yet TT doesn't have every use case covered. Sometimes you have to go somewhere else. I had to buy a couple leupold 2.5-10 FFP's here just the other day. Needed a super short super light scope with locked/capped turrets to beat around.

Fact is, most people aren't qualified to evaluate a pop tart, and they certainly don't shoot enough to quantify where rifle scopes fit in a hierarchy. Yet the only way you know, is to buy, and use... heavily.

I'll know if these leupolds don't hold up. You can count on that.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

The difference is "Mr. throw your rifle on the ground" doesn't sell scopes and you do. His tests are for scope buyers to make an informed decision. They are based on his experience shooting pallets of ammo and seeing the same scopes fail over and over. The drop tests mimic prolonged effects of recoil. The opinions of manufacturers and their agents quite naturally need to be looked at for what they are. As Ronald Reagan said "trust , but verify"

The difference is "Mr. throw your rifle on the ground" doesn't sell scopes and you do. His tests are for scope buyers to make an informed decision. They are based on his experience shooting pallets of ammo and seeing the same scopes fail over and over. The drop tests mimic prolonged effects of recoil. The opinions of manufacturers and their agents quite naturally need to be looked at for what they are. As Ronald Reagan said "trust , but verify"
Geez you Form followers act like he's the only guy on the planet that shoots "pallets" of ammo per year.

Geez you Form followers act like he's the only guy on the planet that shoots "pallets" of ammo per year.
No... but he is THE ONLY one I know of that takes the time to photograph, document, and write about his findings over a long period of time... sometimes a year spent with that optic.

He does this without sponsorships or freebies, often purchasing the test items out of his pocket or by Rokslide members.

He also is pretty objective, leaving nothing off the table as far as oandering to one group or another or one manufacterer or another.

I anxiously look forward to reading YOUR optics reviews...

I wouldn't lose any sleep at night over the TT test, after he did that test someone on that forum did the same test with their own TT and it passed with flying colors.

He might have just gotten the one bad scope.
He also got the target reticle and complained about it despite TT having a really good hunting reticle in that scope, idk what that is all about.

I wouldn't lose any sleep at night over the TT test, after he did that test someone on that forum did the same test with their own TT and it passed with flying colors.

He might have just gotten the one bad scope.
He also got the target reticle and complained about it despite TT having a really good hunting reticle in that scope, idk what that is all about.

He tests what's available to him. People loan or donate those scopes for testing.

If I am spending money, reticle and turrets will be chosen by me.

He tests what's available to him. People loan or donate those scopes for testing.

If I am spending money, reticle and turrets will be chosen by me.
You are probably right, it's just without that added context it puts an even worse taste in peoples mouth when they read the review and it doesn't actually mean anything because TT has hunting reticles.

You are probably right, it's just without that added context it puts an even worse taste in peoples mouth when they read the review and it doesn't actually mean anything because TT has hunting reticles.
If you read the reviews, he states where each scope comes from and who paid for it. If someone loans him a scope to review and he doesn't care for the reticle would you rather he just lied and said he liked it?

If you read the reviews, he states where each scope comes from and who paid for it. If someone loans him a scope to review and he doesn't care for the reticle would you rather he just lied and said he liked it?
He doesn't have to lie, he could just add context that TT has better reticles for hunting and that particular one isn't for hunting.

Recent Posts