Scope field evaluations on rokslide

If you hunt the mountain West enough... scree, boulder fields, snow, ice, "pine cone fields",... you WILL FALL more than once. I had a custom leaning against a pine tree one evening while glassing for mulies in very steep country. So steep I had to dig divets into the ground for my heels to hold me from sliding down the mountain.

Somehow the gravel gave way under the butt of my rifle (leaning there untouched) and it went tumbling down the mountain, scarring up the scope and barrel. Luckily I had a good scope and other than beauty marks it survived mecanically.

Things happen.

Last edited:
I don't think any of us who know or have been there would argue that stuff happens. As I stated earlier I dropped a Luepold and a Sako 270 a verified 20 feet out of a tree butt first. The reticle moved a 1/2 in at a hundred. It landed in the mud of the creek bank directly below the tree. Some might argue the ground softened the blow. I don't care how soft the ground is? You fall 20 feet out of a tree, it is going to hurt. Saw a 375 smack a guy's forehead scope moved an inch and a half in the rings because that was how far it had to move🤣. Left him a nice little mark to remember the experience. I would repeat as I did in my first response to this post. I think the movement is more due to the rings than the scopes themselves. I am not saying in doesn't happen but I bet on a high quality scope it has more to do with poor mounting and mounts than the scope.

Nope.

Like I said, no one else's "drop test" is going to work for your scope.

Secondly, anyone that's ever been asked to truly discover the truth about any product knows that these types of "tests" don't do anything at all OTHER than generate bias from limited information. To really know, you must have a statistically significant number of samples, a control, a specific procedure, and the testing must include destructive testing.

Also, just as others have mentioned... NOT banging your stuff around is considered to be part of being a good rifleman. So testing in a controlled environment is one thing. Treating your rifle like a careless mongoloid is entirely another.

The vast majority of "zero shift" incidents are the fault of the action to stock mating surface. Period.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

The vast majority of "zero shift" incidents are the fault of the action to stock mating surface. Period.

Do you have any evidence to share regarding this claim?

In the RS tests the the action is bonded to the stock, and a "proof" scope is used on the exact same rifle without issue.
There are lots of scopes that pass this test in this rifle, so no stock mating issues there.

I sent a Swarovski Z6 in that lost zero after 376 rounds on a breaked 28 Nos. They returned it with a note that said "replaced erector assembly" Scope holds zero again- no issue with the stock mating surface.

Alex wheeler did scope tests with a Hood scope checker, and found lots of scopes that would have a wandering point of impact. There is no stock involved with this fixture, so there is no possible way it was anything but the faulty scope.

To give the scope manufacturers a pass is ridiculous. They will continue to make scopes that do not do the one thing we should be asking them to do- STAY ZEROED. Instead a very large number of scope owners think it's perfectly normal to continually re-zero their scopes. They make up excuses for their failed scopes instead of demanding something that works. It is about time someone stood up and said "The Emperor isn't wearing any clothes"!

I have read through, most if not all of the RS drop tests. I didnt see anyone throwing a rifle on the ground.

Several scopes failed just riding in a truck! Some didn't track correctly. Dropping a scope from 18" onto a mat, is not throwing a rifle on the ground. That is something that I would previously assumed most scopes could handle. It's not.

Dropping them onto a mat from 36" is apparently something very few setups can handle.

The other interesting part of this test is, I have seen several people take these results very personal. There's a lot of brand loyalty in rifle scopes.
Isn't that funny? Why would anyone take this test (which I found VERY informative) personally. The **** thing either works or it doesn't. I can tell you after reading all of the RS tests, there's going to be new scopes on MY hunting rigs. I'll keep one or two of 'X' brand for the steel ranges.

Maybe.

Do you have any evidence to share regarding this claim?

In the RS tests the the action is bonded to the stock, and a "proof" scope is used on the exact same rifle without issue.
There are lots of scopes that pass this test in this rifle, so no stock mating issues there.

I sent a Swarovski Z6 in that lost zero after 376 rounds on a breaked 28 Nos. They returned it with a note that said "replaced erector assembly" Scope holds zero again- no issue with the stock mating surface.

Alex wheeler did scope tests with a Hood scope checker, and found lots of scopes that would have a wandering point of impact. There is no stock involved with this fixture, so there is no possible way it was anything but the faulty scope.

To give the scope manufacturers a pass is ridiculous. They will continue to make scopes that do not do the one thing we should be asking them to do- STAY ZEROED. Instead a very large number of scope owners think it's perfectly normal to continually re-zero their scopes. They make up excuses for their failed scopes instead of demanding something that works. It is about time someone stood up and said "The Emperor isn't wearing any clothes"!
I am going to state what I stated in the beginning which has been a largely ignored observation by those who like the results and is the flaw in the test. He adjusted and noted the increase in ring poundage on the scopes that passed but made no such adjustments on those that failed. It appears that if he was partial to a particular brand S&B, NF though they initially failed as all others did he adjusted the poundage and preformed the test all over again. I am not arguing for or against any particular brand and I did not review every test but I did look at his notes on the ones that passed and then a few of the ones that failed. By making the adjustments he invalidated the test.

You made my agreement for me as well. Your scope had a broken assembly. It wasn't faulty. It broke after 375 rounds from a high recoiling rifle. Again I have had scopes that have broken or that I broke or that came from the factory broke but as long as the thing was in working order it never failed to hold zero not on a $1500 plus scope. I have in forty plus years never seen a poi shift that wasn't explainable and it was usually a bad part that was replaced under warranty or faulty rings. The replacements for the few I have had never failed.

Additionally, as others have mentioned a sample size of one is insufficient to make any definitive conclusions. I have in my career and life run NF, Leupold, S&B, Athlon, Vortex, ZCO, Swarovski, SWFA, IOR Valdada and a host of other. I have had 4 failures with the exception of some really cheap scopes in the early years (ie Tasco etc.). All these scope failures just kind of baffle me. I personally think it horse manure! I think someone misses and it the scopes fault, they have one failure and the company is crap, or they favor a certain brand and want something that helps them go home and explain to their wife why they just spent $5k on a scope for their hunting rifle. Don't get me wrong I shoot a PM2 and love it! The test support my scope of choice but I also own and have owed others that have never failed me either. Holding zero is the most important aspect of a scope. I have never had a tier one fail to do that. NF, S&B, Vortex, Athlon, ZCO, Leupold , Kahles all build models that are tough as nails and will hold zero under the most brutal of operating conditions. It then moves to features and function, followed by glass. All things being equal I would give up a little glass quality in a hunting scope to get the features( ie reticule) I wanted.

Finally, I nor do most of us want to tote a 2-3+ pound scope on a LRH hunt. I personally would rather have the weight in my rifle not my scope. A light weight scope however, will have a thinner tube wall thus making it more susceptible to damage. There are trade offs with every model. Choose what fits your criteria and go shoot. I am a little bit of a scope snob, however I don't care for Kahles or NF, not because I don't think they are great scopes but rather because I don't like their controls. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. That said as I stated earlier if I were getting into the game and building a long range rig I think NF is the best bang for the buck. There are scopes that in my opinion are better (ie some of the new S&B scopes) however, at and additional 4-5K over the night force what you gain is not enough to justify the difference in price.

I appreciate his effort but at the end of the day the test is flawed for several reasons. 1) unequal testing parameters. 2) insufficient testing numbers per model. 3) there is no way to control how individual models impact the striking surface, it is to random 4) The test is not repeatable form model to model. 6) There appears to be bias. Again just my observations and experience.

My beef with this argument is it appears to suggest that unless your spending 3500 on a scope you can't trust your equipment and that is just simply not true. There are multiple factors that can effect zero other than the scope. There are a lot of good quality scopes on the market today that cost far less than 3500+. When factoring in intended use there may be no need for such a scope. Again my scope of choice is a S&B or Leupold for hunting purposes. At present as of today I have 4 Leupolds and 2 S&Bs on my six primary hunting rifles. I trust all of them. They have never failed me. The cheapest is around $650 and the most expensive 4K. Pick what you have confidence in and go hunt. I started with a Tasco World Class and quickly went to a Vari X 111 3.5-10x50. Now I own scopes from a half dozen manufacturers all with a different purpose in mind. Just because you can beat the crap out of the tube of a scope doesn't mean it is the best for the job!

I am going to state what I stated in the beginning which has been a largely ignored observation by those who like the results and is the flaw in the test. He adjusted and noted the increase in ring poundage on the scopes that passed but made no such adjustments on those that failed. It appears that if he was partial to a particular brand S&B, NF though they initially failed as all others did he adjusted the poundage and preformed the test all over again. I am not arguing for or against any particular brand and I did not review every test but I did look at his notes on the ones that passed and then a few of the ones that failed. By making the adjustments he invalidated the test.

You made my agreement for me as well. Your scope had a broken assembly. It wasn't faulty. It broke after 375 rounds from a high recoiling rifle. Again I have had scopes that have broken or that I broke or that came from the factory broke but as long as the thing was in working order it never failed to hold zero not on a $1500 plus scope. I have in forty plus years never seen a poi shift that wasn't explainable and it was usually a bad part that was replaced under warranty or faulty rings. The replacements for the few I have had never failed.

Additionally, as others have mentioned a sample size of one is insufficient to make any definitive conclusions. I have in my career and life run NF, Leupold, S&B, Athlon, Vortex, ZCO, Swarovski, SWFA, IOR Valdada and a host of other. I have had 4 failures with the exception of some really cheap scopes in the early years (ie Tasco etc.). All these scope failures just kind of baffle me. I personally think it horse manure! I think someone misses and it the scopes fault, they have one failure and the company is crap, or they favor a certain brand and want something that helps them go home and explain to their wife why they just spent $5k on a scope for their hunting rifle. Don't get me wrong I shoot a PM2 and love it! The test support my scope of choice but I also own and have owed others that have never failed me either. Holding zero is the most important aspect of a scope. I have never had a tier one fail to do that. NF, S&B, Vortex, Athlon, ZCO, Leupold , Kahles all build models that are tough as nails and will hold zero under the most brutal of operating conditions. It then moves to features and function, followed by glass. All things being equal I would give up a little glass quality in a hunting scope to get the features( ie reticule) I wanted.

Finally, I nor do most of us want to tote a 2-3+ pound scope on a LRH hunt. I personally would rather have the weight in my rifle not my scope. A light weight scope however, will have a thinner tube wall thus making it more susceptible to damage. There are trade offs with every model. Choose what fits your criteria and go shoot. I am a little bit of a scope snob, however I don't care for Kahles or NF, not because I don't think they are great scopes but rather because I don't like their controls. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. That said as I stated earlier if I were getting into the game and building a long range rig I think NF is the best bang for the buck. There are scopes that in my opinion are better (ie some of the new S&B scopes) however, at and additional 4-5K over the night force what you gain is not enough to justify the difference in price.

I appreciate his effort but at the end of the day the test is flawed for several reasons. 1) unequal testing parameters. 2) insufficient testing numbers per model. 3) there is no way to control how individual models impact the striking surface, it is to random 4) The test is not repeatable form model to model. 6) There appears to be bias. Again just my observations and experience.

My beef with this argument is it appears to suggest that unless your spending 3500 on a scope you can't trust your equipment and that is just simply not true. There are multiple factors that can effect zero other than the scope. There are a lot of good quality scopes on the market today that cost far less than 3500+. When factoring in intended use there may be no need for such a scope. Again my scope of choice is a S&B or Leupold for hunting purposes. At present as of today I have 4 Leupolds and 2 S&Bs on my six primary hunting rifles. I trust all of them. They have never failed me. The cheapest is around $650 and the most expensive 4K. Pick what you have confidence in and go hunt. I started with a Tasco World Class and quickly went to a Vari X 111 3.5-10x50. Now I own scopes from a half dozen manufacturers all with a different purpose in mind. Just because you can beat the crap out of the tube of a scope doesn't mean it is the best for the job!
I guess you didn't notice that none of the really expensive scopes passed and a $300 scope did?

Not at all. He gave the Bushnell LRTS a strong pass and it was a $1000-$1200 scope, although I purchased mine before his eval came out.

It is the scope that took the tumble down the mountain in my earlier post... and it never lost zero and performs great to this day.

I guess you didn't notice that none of the really expensive scopes passed and a $300 scope did?
I did! I would agree that the fixed powered SWFAs are some of the toughest scopes on the planet. I have owned a couple, but news flash any fixed power is going to be inherently more reliable than a variable scope because it has less moving parts. I am will to bet the variable models don't fare as well. Comparing a fix powered SWFA to a NF Atacr or Leupold Mark 5 7-35 or a S&B PM2 is like comparing a 1969 VW bettle to a 2023 Porsche 911 turbo. The bettle will go 100,000 miles without so much as a check up but it want do near what the Porsche will. I don't care if he is Herbie!🤣 They are two completely different animals even if they are built by the same parent company. To believe they are the same or equal is just foolishness!

Last edited:
Variable power cheap scopes passed too, keep it coming with the car references because it's certainly relevant to the scope discussion 😉

Not at all. He gave the Bushnell LRTS a strong pass and it was a $1000-$1200 scope, although I purchased mine before his eval came out.

It is the scope that took the tumble down the mountain in my earlier post... and it never lost zero and performs great to this day.
Interestingly enough I think that scope is built in the same factory as the NF , Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2, Vortex Razor, and other great scopes. Seems to be a trend. The Bushnell DMS scopes and the Athlon Cronus look so much a like it isn't even funny. Just an observation.

This argument is kind of like the glass argument. The assumption is if it is Schott glass it is the best, yet Zeiss owns multiple factories around the globe which produces their glass. One of those is in Japan, One in Europe and the other is located somewhere along the pacific rim (China). Same company different quality depending on how much you or your manufacturer wants to spend. If it says it is Schott glass and does not specify that it came from the factory in Europe or that the raw glass was manufactured in Europe, their is a reason you are getting such a great deal. You get what you pay for! $600-800 Schott glass ain't the same as $3K glass. S&B are great quality scopes and some would argue the best money can buy. They don't offer the warrant you get with Vortex and others because of the cost associated with building one scope. They sell far few scopes and the quality from model to model is consistent.

We (myself and other pro staffers) have stood in a friends shop and compared multiple examples of the same models of other scopes as well as done the same at the range and you would be amazed at the difference in glass quality and say the turrets from one example to the next of the same scope. (ie NF &Leupold). Non of them were necessarily bad and most people may not even notice but to those who use them on a regular basis and shoot the higher end stuff know and understand there is a difference. But again, the quality is good enough not to justify for most spending and additional 1-5K on something better.

Again using the car analogy if you own a Porsche are you really getting that much more car by buying a Venom or a Lamborghini. Most would say no. Those who drive them would say absolutely. Few would appreciate the difference and be satisfied with a Vette or Shelby Mustang or Charger Hellcat. All are legit but different in both quality and performance. Again I would ask what do you want to accomplish with it. Decide that and then look to see what the best models are that fit your criteria and budget and go hunt. I bet it never fails you if you learn it well.

I have read every one of the scope tests. All mounting is the same. Specifically which ones are you talking about?

My Swaro reference was in response to orkan saying that scope problems are because of the stock. That 28 Nosler shooting 160 gr. bullets with a massive muzzle brake is NOT high recoiling. The rest of the story on the Swaro: Right after purchasing it about 6 years ago, thinking I had the very best scope available. Form on RS made mention that that particular scope would exhibit zero loss somewhere after 400-600 rounds. I argued with him and honestly thought he did not know what he was talking about.

Yes all NF scopes pass his test. They pass because NF tests them before they ship them so they don't come back. There is no bias there. Form has stated that NF doesn't make a scope reticle useable for hunting and he doesn't use them. He has asked them to make a better hunting reticle and they said not interested.

We (myself and other pro staffers) have stood in a friends shop and compared multiple examples of the same models
Pro staffers? Standing in a shop?

There's no way sponsored shooters standing in a shop with other sponsored shooters could ever . . . . . ever . . . . You stepped in it buddy. Good luck wiping it off.

I have read every one of the scope tests. All mounting is the same. Specifically which ones are you talking about?

My Swaro reference was in response to orkan saying that scope problems are because of the stock. That 28 Nosler shooting 160 gr. bullets with a massive muzzle brake is NOT high recoiling. The rest of the story on the Swaro: Right after purchasing it about 6 years ago, thinking I had the very best scope available. Form on RS made mention that that particular scope would exhibit zero loss somewhere after 400-600 rounds. I argued with him and honestly thought he did not know what he was talking about.

Yes all NF scopes pass his test. They pass because NF tests them before they ship them so they don't come back. There is no bias there. Form has stated that NF doesn't make a scope reticle useable for hunting and he doesn't use them. He has asked them to make a better hunting reticle and they said not interested.
My problem with every Swarovski I have owned has been the eye boxes. They are just to tight for my liking. I never kept them long enough to see if they would fail at the 400 round mark. Again, most hunter will never get to four hundred rounds and if you are shooting that much a Swarovski is probably not your best option. Agreed that the problem with NF is the reticle choices as well for me as the ocular bell on the Atacr. In the test of the PM2 it initially failed but he states that he tightened the rings to between 20-22 ft lbs because he noticed the scope had moved in the rings.

Pro staffers? Standing in a shop?

There's no way sponsored shooters standing in a shop with other sponsored shooters could ever . . . . . ever . . . . You stepped in it buddy. Good luck wiping it off.
Four of us took Five different Atacrs and five different Mark 5s outside to the range at 1500 yards to compare glass. Three of the Atacrs were the same and unnoticeable. The others all had exhibited a visible difference between each example. One of the Leupolds was clearly behind the glass quality of the others.

On a range trip there were seven of us with everything from TT, ZCO, NF, Leupold, Athlon and Vortex. We got to compare all of them and we were surprised at what we saw which led to the comparison of the NF and Leupolds. One of the Mark 5s a 7-32 at the original range session stood out from all the others in broad day light. The ZCO was also noticeable brighter than the rest. When you have access to all of them and aren't looking at them in the store you can visibly see the difference buddy! (ie most assume the ZCO is brighter than the NF Atacr and it is till it begins to get really dark and then the contrast in the Atacr comes out and in my opinion makes up enough of the difference to deter me from buying the ZCO over the NF based on glass alone.

Again my point is not to argue one scope over another but simply to point out their are a lot of high quality scopes out there at varying price points. And while you may not be able to drive nails with them they will hold zero on most rifles and not fail you even if you drop it on a hunt. Not saying it doesn't happen but I think it happens a lot less than some of the manure that is being stepped in here.

Last edited:

Recent Posts