Scope field evaluations on rokslide

No... but he is THE ONLY one I know of that takes the time to photograph, document, and write about his findings over a long period of time... sometimes a year spent with that optic.

He does this without sponsorships or freebies, often purchasing the test items out of his pocket or by Rokslide members.

He also is pretty objective, leaving nothing off the table as far as oandering to one group or another or one manufacterer or another.

I anxiously look forward to reading YOUR optics reviews...
You willing to donate YOUR scope to test?

Greg, have you tried the new Hawkins Featherweight one piece mounts?

Thanks

No I haven't. If they'd like to send me one over, I'll check it out... but I have no need to source one for myself at this point.

The difference is "Mr. throw your rifle on the ground" doesn't sell scopes and you do. His tests are for scope buyers to make an informed decision. They are based on his experience shooting pallets of ammo and seeing the same scopes fail over and over. The drop tests mimic prolonged effects of recoil.
No, the "tests" mimic the effects of throwing your rifle on the ground. 🤣

These days I'm actually REALLY glad when people think I'm biased. I've always been really thankful to help cooperative shooters, though I've found it extremely beneficial when hostile-types don't listen. It leaves me more time for those that do listen.

Then when those that don't listen at first, later do what I recommended, they'll collide head on with who's responsible for it and their subconscious will torment them, which I think is hilarious.

"Hunting" reticles? lol
I've been hunting with the Gen2XR since 2014, then almost exclusively Gen3XRF since it showed up. I find no need for a fat reticle.

Here's me manually hovering an iPhone behind the scope, while running the rifle simultaneously. Imagine how good it is in person. lol

If people would shoot more and talk less, threads like this wouldn't even exist. ... but hey, apparently I'm biased and all I want is money.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Last edited:
I have read through, most if not all of the RS drop tests. I didnt see anyone throwing a rifle on the ground.

Several scopes failed just riding in a truck! Some didn't track correctly. Dropping a scope from 18" onto a mat, is not throwing a rifle on the ground. That is something that I would previously assumed most scopes could handle. It's not.

Dropping them onto a mat from 36" is apparently something very few setups can handle.

The other interesting part of this test is, I have seen several people take these results very personal. There's a lot of brand loyalty in rifle scopes.

I personally appreciate the tests as well as hands on experiences by people that have much more time behind the scopes I'm considering. Sure, you need attempt to identify personal bias when evaluating what you are reading. Objectivity or lack thereof is fairly easy to discern. Scopes and bullet brands and models seem to be the most hotly debated topics in the hunting/shooting world. Scopes are a significant investment and involve a vast array of personal preferences based on intended use. It's tough to justify spending $2K to $4k on an aiming device. The last thing you want is buyers remorse.

Boo hoo hooey. FORM hurt my feelings because I own some scope brands that failed his sensible scope test procedures.

Pout pout pout. Whine whine whine. Attack attack attack. Without reading the full testing procedures or results. Stop reading and counterattack as soon as reading one of "my personally owned scopes failed". Lose all sense of objectivity. Complain some more.

Boo hoo hooey. FORM hurt my feelings because I own some scope brands that failed his sensible scope test procedures.

Pout pout pout. Whine whine whine. Attack attack attack. Without reading the full testing procedures or results. Stop reading and counterattack as soon as reading one of "my personally owned scopes failed". Lose all sense of objectivity. Complain some more.
I think every single person should be doing what he's doing to every single rifle/optic they have.

That's what I find most disturbing about how these types of threads go on and on like this. The only reason why anyone cares is because deep down they KNOW they don't know what kind of product they have.

That's why their feelings are hurt. If they knew, then nothing anyone else is doing would phase their views.

I find some of the "testing" he's doing pretty comical, but I have no issue with it and he certainly doesn't hurt my feelings. I know what I have. That's the difference.

No singular piece of equipment from anyone ever should be trusted until it demonstrates it can be. Someone else can't do that for you. Only you can do that for you.

The only scope I've used to date that hasn't failed me in some respect is Tangent Theta. I've owned all the big names obviously, and some of the smaller ones... but with the flurry of new chinesium scope companies popping up every other week, I haven't bothered with most of the recent low to mid range options.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Another thing is kind of eating me this morning! Who the heck goes around intentionally beating the crap out of their $3500 optic?
That's exactly what, I told my son, after he read, the Article ! ( He,. Freaked ! )
He ended up with, a Zeiss Conquest V-4 in, 4 x 16x for his New 7 PRC, Elk and L R Steel "Buster" and,..
It' s a nice, clear, tracks "well', scope. ( Told him, NOT to, Pound Nails with, it )
Since the Civil War and Buffalo Hunting Days,.. Scopes were NEVER meant to be,.. Dropped !

Last edited:
My best guess is that a machine doing some sort of stress test could be more consistent. However depending on how the stress is applied or how much force is applied it might not be realistic. While a drop test may not be as consistent, could be more realistic especially if mounted on a firearm. Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics has been doing one for years. I think it's a good measure of an optic or firearm. Just don't ask to drop mine lol.

Some of your videos have been very informative, should we expect a drop testing video from you at some point in the future?
Nope.

Like I said, no one else's "drop test" is going to work for your scope.

Secondly, anyone that's ever been asked to truly discover the truth about any product knows that these types of "tests" don't do anything at all OTHER than generate bias from limited information. To really know, you must have a statistically significant number of samples, a control, a specific procedure, and the testing must include destructive testing.

Also, just as others have mentioned... NOT banging your stuff around is considered to be part of being a good rifleman. So testing in a controlled environment is one thing. Treating your rifle like a careless mongoloid is entirely another.

The vast majority of "zero shift" incidents are the fault of the action to stock mating surface. Period.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Most of the time I see a video of a manufacture's testing equipment, it's inside, in a shop/lab setting. It seems they are testing for some sort of breakage. This is not the same thing as testing for zero retention. I'm sure there's a way to check the reticle alignment in a lab setting, I just never see it in these paint shaker like promotional tests.
They shock test (G-Shock) while viewing in a collimeter at the return warranty process. They can see shifts in the reticle if bad.

As a rifleman, a hunter, a former firearms instructor, and a former soldier I'm not careless with my firearms. I just know that I could take a fall while out and about. Or things happen as Murphy is always watching. So firearms like any other tool could take a dump.

As a rifleman, a hunter, a former firearms instructor, and a former soldier I'm not careless with my firearms. I just know that I could take a fall while out and about. Or things happen as Murphy is always watching. So firearms like any other tool could take a dump.
At that Point, I figure out, which way is the Fastest Route,.. back to, the Truck !
It's only happened Once, for Me !
I was "Bird Dogging" a small Herd of Elk, for a couple of Friends, crossed the Ridge and, slipped, then slid down, a Rocky / Icy "Chute" and the back end of my 2.5 X 10 Leupold Scope, got seriously Messed up !
Wrote a Letter, offered to pay Leupold,.. they sent me, a New one,. FREE, 2 weeks later

Last edited:
At that Point, I figure out, which way is the Fastest Route,.. back to, the Truck !
I had a sling break on me sending my rifle muzzle down into the snow. I was tracking two cougars when that happened. I was lucky to get the snow out of that barrel and continued on the hunt. Not too long after that I came across my tracks, the cougars had back tracked me. I checked my zero and then went back to the truck lol.

Last edited:

Recent Posts