Leupold vx6hd 3-18x44mm experienced based evaluations please

DartonJager

Before I commit to spending this level of $$$ would like the input of those who own and have had experience with the Leupold VX6HD 3-18x44mm 30mm tube. I'm looking for your experiences in:

#1-Tracking and adjusting it then returning to zero over and over or enough that you are 100% confident in it's ability to track, adjust and return to zero
#2-short and Long term durability
#3-How do the wind and elevation dials work and FEEL when adjusting them do you feel a rock solid sharp and very tactile sensation when dialing for elevation and wind and are they the least bit mushy.
#4-How well the turret locks work to prevent unwanted movement

I'm not all that concerned about the VH6HD's glass quality as I'm sure it will be more than good enough for my intended usage.

If you happen to own one with the T-MOA reticle please tell me what you think as that is the only reticle I would get it in if I buy. I plan on using this as an all around hunting scope from close (under 100 yards) to my longest range shots be it for deer or elk hopefully one day if I get good enough to 7-800 yards.

No offense meant, but please if you aren't a fan of or hate Leupold please refrain from commenting, I'm looking for factual first had evaluations of a specific Leupold scope to aid in my decision to buy or not and have no desire or wish this thread degrade into a opportunity for people who are so inclined to bash Leupold. If you have factual negative information to add based on your own first had personal experience with this exact model Leupold scope having failed you by all means please share your experience with me but I'm looking for strictly fair, honest and objective evaluations based on having actually owned this particular Leupold scope.

Thanks,
Arthur.

Arthur- I don't have that exact scope I have a different model and I have a VX5HD. I love the glass and I love the TMOA reticle, especially now that it is illuminated. I have that reticle on 3 scopes and love it for hunting.

The minor dialing that I have to do to reach 500 yards I haven't had issues with repeatability but Im not making large corrections back and forth all day.

As everything is a compromise; I chose the Leupold because of the weight, the cost and the features I get for the cost. I'm almost done converting most of my rifle scopes over to VX5 or 6 for that reason.

I have the exact scope you reference. Since I was always told "actions speak louder than words" I will only state that based on my experience using and utilizing this scope I have purchased 2 more and am tonight ordering a fourth based on my total satisfaction to date. Please note that I have no use for the TMOA reticle so do not have experience with this reticle. Other scopes that I have and use include but am not limited to: Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica and S & B. I am a mountain hunter and utilize my rifles in this pursuit, with shots most commonly in the 200 to 500 yd range, closest shot was a Russian Snow Sheep at 15 yd (VX6HD) and longest est'ed to be 980 yd for a Russian Tur also with a Leupold. Good Luck.

Duck hunter and shphtr,
Thank you both exactly the information I need to make a well informed decision. I will undoubtedly try to hit steel at as far as i can shoot, but animals will be only as far as i am absolutely confident I can hit where I aim. I need the optics to shoot to 500-800 before I can soot enough to hopefully one day soon be good enough.

I've responded on this to another thread as follows:

"I've been running the Leupold VX6HD 3-18x44 on several rifles for both the range and hunting for a while now. I find this combination of lightweight and magnification has served me VERY well on several hunts and some long range situations.

Great glass, tracks perfectly and I like the variety of reticles available. The locking turrets and AO are also a plus.

All this for 19 oz! Lighter than another favorite of mine, the NF 2.5-10x42. My wife used hers to take a couse deer in Sonora Mexico at 555 yards. I used the VX6HD 2-12 to take my deer at 455 yards.

Either offers a great lighter weight option in the field or the range.

And yes, my 61 year young eyes appreciate the added magnification."

I can add that I've hunted these scopes several times on some pretty difficult hunts in austere conditions. They've been bounced around a lot and still perform perfectly.

I've used them (Yes, I have several of them on hunting and range rigs) on the range for some training courses and takes them to well over 1000 yards on a flat and field course. Tracking and repeatability are spot on. I run some on Blasers so I have taken them off the rifle with the QD Blaser mounts and after returning them to the rifle they were again spot on.

Low light performance is really good. I like the light transmission and helps my "seasoned" eyes considerably.

I've got both the older Pre HD VX6 & the newer ones. I can't really see a lot of difference other than the great Alumina scope covers.

Good luck

Arthur- I don't have that exact scope I have a different model and I have a VX5HD. I love the glass and I love the TMOA reticle, especially now that it is illuminated. I have that reticle on 3 scopes and love it for hunting.

The minor dialing that I have to do to reach 500 yards I haven't had issues with repeatability but Im not making large corrections back and forth all day.

As everything is a compromise; I chose the Leupold because of the weight, the cost and the features I get for the cost. I'm almost done converting most of my rifle scopes over to VX5 or 6 for that reason.
You were able to get the VX-5HD with an illuminated T-MOA? Would you mind sharing where and st what cost?

I have a 3-18 VX6 with TMOA on my 28 Nosler. So far I've taken it out to 800 several times, tracking has been very good and always returns to zero. I really like the reticle, simple and straightforward.

I have the 3-18x44 on a 6.5 SAUM and it has worked great for me so far. I like the weight of these and will likely buy more of them for my hunting rifles. I recently bought a March to test out too.

I've shot my VX-6HD 2-12x42 to 875 yds without any problems. Really liked it. Elevation turret was precise and repeatable. The illuminated TMOA is great and gets me both on target against varied backgrounds and in all lighting situations. Big fan.

I use same scope for hunting and range work. I did a ton of research before I ordered mine and I don't think there is a better option for performance and weight. Since I use it for both it works well. But I sometimes feel like I want more magnification for range work and less magnification for hunting. I usually stay between 3-6x for hunting and 18x for range. It has tracked great. I have the standard plex. I like a simple reticle for hunting and I dial everything at range. Only had a year but durability seems no issue.
If for one rifle to use both hunting and target shooting get VX6 HD 3-18x44. If more for hunting and have another rifle for range, I'd recommend 2-12 or 2-10 for hunting and larger magnification range on target scope.

Last question, I forgot to ask if the VX-6 HD has a zero stop or not. If it does will be selling a couple of scopes here to fund buying one.

Thanks again,
Arthur.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.