LEUPOLD VX6HD FRUSTRATION!!!!

Full Curl

Really frustrated with my Leupold glass!! Got my custom 300RUM delivered this summer. I had a Leupold 4-24x52 VX6HD with the TMOA reticle waiting for it. Broke the barrel in and developed a great 0.5" MOA load for it. Early on I performed a vertical target test at 100 yards shooting 0, dialed 15MOA, and dialed 30MOA to verify vertical tracking in the reticle was in fact vertical and to measure the distance of turret clicks which came right out at 0.253MOA/click which was spot on. I inputted all the data into Strelok and had my DOPE for longer range. I shot a target drop test out to 700 yards and verified all the drops at 300, 400, 500, 600, and 700. Strelok's come ups were spot on as I verified each of them by dialing down to my groups (all sub-MOA) on the target. Perfect, I thought to myself, I'm good to go to start dialing my all come ups with all my DOPE.

I started shooting 500 to 1000 yards dialing and this is where my issues started. I started having low hits. I would start at a distance and my first and second shots would hit low (multiple inches low depending on distance), I would then correct by how low they hit and dial up accordingly and they would hit spot on. Then I would go back the next day with my new numbers and again I would hit low and have to do it over again. This went on for the last week and a half and is driving me nuts! I triple checked all my rounds for charge weight, neck tension, seating depth, fps, etc. and everything was spot on. I am anal about the ring and action screws on the rifle and they are tight. I'm far from a pro, but my form is solid and I'm shooting very nice sub-MOA groups. I never touched the horizontal turret and only adjusted the vertical. Horizontally, I'm spot on. My vertical hits are off and not making any sense to me. They keep dropping lower.

Every day I went to the range, my come ups increased about 0.75 to 2MOA from 500 to 800 yards. I went again yesterday and it happened again. I know the MOA/click is on because after I measure my drop and correct, I'm dead on. The problem is my MOA from one day to the next is off considerably. It took me a bit in my thick head but I ruled out the rifle, the ammo, and my form. It has to be the scope. I haven't shot it under 500 yards in weeks after I zeroed it at 200. This morning I shot 2 rounds that almost had touching holes at 200 yards that were 2.1MOA (or 4.5 inches low). About 80 rounds ago I had a perfect 200 yard zero. SO FRUSTRATED!!!!

I know there have been some tracking issues on Leupolds. I'm not sure if this is a tracking issue or just an issue where it can't hold zero. Like I said, when I dial a known observed come up, it's spot on so I know it tracks well in that circumstance. But it either has lost its zero somehow or has tracking issues when I dial and then return it back to zero and dial again. I'm not sure which it is, but neither are good. Now I don't have any confidence with this scope. For $1800 this shouldn't happen!!! Not at all happy, and really frustrated with this scope. Another thought I had was the recoil from a 300RUM too much for this scope? I have a very long awaited for elk hunt next week and just sick about this. Not sure what to do.

Has anybody else had any similar issues with VX6HD's? Is there any way I can tell if it's not holding zero or just not tracking correctly? Or both? Any other thoughts?

I'm seeing the forest. You may be still in the trees. You think there's any chance the dial is not anchored on the turret good enough, and it's slightly slipping when you turn it? That would account for always being low every time you come up. I really hope it's that simple and would explain what you're seeing perfectly and would be a really easy fix.

I'm seeing the forest. You may be still in the trees. You think there's any chance the dial is not anchored on the turret good enough, and it's slightly slipping when you turn it? That would account for always being low every time you come up. I really hope it's that simple and would explain what you're seeing perfectly and would be a really easy fix.
I have those 3 tiny little screws pretty tight but good suggestion, I'll check again to be sure. Thank you.

I just experienced the exact same thing with a VX5-HD. I had it on a smokeless muzzleloader. I wondered the same thing about recoil, but I have a really good brake on mine. I just don't feel the recoil on it is any worse than some of my 338 or 30 cal's. I almost pulled it off before my Kansas mule deer hunt, but the day I went out to once again check tracking, it dialed all the way out to 600 yards, going 100 yards at a time. It then came back to zero at 200, so I decided to go with it. Luckily I was able to take my deer at 200 yards, and felt where bullet impacted was left of aim. Checked when I got home, and was 2 and 1/2 low, 2 and 1/2 left. I pulled it and sent it in last week. Haven't heard anything from Leupold yet, it's too soon.

I had to take a double take and make sure this wasn't a post I'd made before. I also had a 300rum and VX6HD 4-24 TMOA that I fought like mad out of the box. Ended up sending it back to Leupold and the replaced **** near everything but the main tube. In the meantime I'd lost so much confidence with the rifle I sold it. Ended up selling the replacement rifle and the vx6 a few years later for similar lack of confidence issues. Good luck but I'll never have one of those scopes again.

I just had a VX6 HD sent back this year, 4-24x52 to Leupold for tracking issues. The gun would lose zero around 50-100 shots every time I used it. Leupold replaced both turrets and since then haven't had a problem. Just send the scope back. My guess is probably 1/10 have turret adjustment issues coming out of the factory and we are the 10%.