Leupold vx6hd vs Mark 5hd

I am building a custom 6.5 Prc for a light weight backcountry mountain rifle. I am between a vx6hd or a Mark 5hd in either the 3-18/ 3.6-18. I am not partial to ffp or sfp as I have both. Most of my shots will be 350y and under but would like good repeatable dialing capabilities for shots on game out to 500y and steel out to 800y+.
Mark 5HD hands down

I'm trying to decide if I should get 2 vx5 3to15 or 1 vx6 3to18 for the same money. Supposed to be the same glass and erector system in both.
Shep
If this is a super light weight rifle you could save some money with a VX3i 4.5-14 30mm side focus and save a little more weight. I have a 4-24 VX6HD on my light weight (8lb) long range rifle. It's been perfect on dialing but I guess there can be a lemon once and while with anything. I'd go for the VX6 personally.

Had both, and sold both. I am super picky when it come to tracking, and neither the MK5 or VX6 track as well as an ATACR. MK5 is close, but not as good. My VX6 had two mechanical failures in addition to not tracking as well. Leupold's customer service is awesome, so the issues where taken care of immediately. I have no idea how nightforce's customer service is, I have never needed it. For me, an extra 10-12 ounces for absolute reliability is a small pice to pay. That being said, if a lightweight F2 ATACR was to be made, I'll be the first guy in line.

thank you for your recommendations and sharing your experiences

Why hasn't the military adopted Night Force as their scope if it is so great? They have adopted the Mark 5 HD Leupold.

Last edited:
I just bought a second VX5HD to put on a new seekins element I picked up. The VX5 is a the best all around hunting scope I've seen. I already have one on a proof barreled Sako. Good weight, glass, turrets. VX6 gives you a little more top end and illumination at the cost of a little more weight. MK5 is a pretty big jump in weight...didn't seem worth it for a 5.5 lb rifle. My understanding is that all three use the same glass.

Same glass on the VX-5HD and VX-6HD
The fire dot duplex, wind plex reticles reticles are pretty thick for small targets past ~600 yards. The TMOA , impact 29, and fine duplex work better at range.

Same glass on the VX-5HD and VX-6HD
The fire dot duplex, wind plex reticles reticles are pretty thick for small targets past ~600 yards. The TMOA , impact 29, and fine duplex work better at range.
I have 2 VX5 HD 3-15x44's. I think they're the cat's butt. Tracking consistency and RTZ has been spot on for both. The Firedot Duplex is a little fat for little targets at LR, but that's what makes it appealing for low light situation prior to turn on the dot. Mine are mainly for calling coyotes, maybe deer, so the reticle is fantastic for those applications.

tfMd4Xu.jpg

Both Turrets lock, but the Mark5 turrets seem audibly crisp/feel every click & have different profile on turret cap that fits fingers better

Do you have any experience with the pr 1 moa reticle? I am looking to get my hands on one but just worry it will be too thin when used at close range on low magnification.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.