Leupold Scopes VX6hd vs VX5hd

Methow Packer

Hey Guys, Most of my rifles have the older vx6. I've had them worked on by Leupold. Changing them to TMOA and adding different turrets. Now I'm interested in the VX5hd. For a hunting rifle. My thought is no I don't need illuminated reticle or inner leveling system. Is the glass with either scope the same or definitely different . Would I be happy with the VX5 and what they have to offer? Is the glass better than the old VX6? How's the wind plex reticle.

The VX-5HD and VX-6HD have the same glass and internals but the VX-6HD has more features and 6x zoom versus 5x. They both have better glass than the old line of VX6. Eurooptic.com has some great deals on both scopes as does Gunbroker.com The ZL2 locking turrets are very nice and give you 40 MOA of elevation, if that is enough for your purposes. New models will be ZL3 and give 60 MOA. I have not used the windplex but like the TMOA and impact 23 reticles.

I went through the same process as you did with old VX6 before moving on to VX5HD and VX6HD. There is an edge to the glass quality on the HD models as well as the ZL2 turrets.

I believe the eyebox and parallax are better / more forgiving on the newer models as well.

The windplex is a nice reticle but I like the Impact series reticles for holdovers and my next choice would be the TMOA over the windplex.

Given the cost difference and what you have invested in your VX6s the upgrade may not be worth it. You'll have to look through one to decide!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.