NX8 vs Maven RS.5 vs Mark 5HD

Leopold 3xi 4.5x14 (17oz.) Killed a Bear tbis spring with it at 590 yrds and can still play out to 1000 yrds.
One of my favorites for light wt. Rifle

Absolutely love my NX8 4-32x50 SFP. As others have said above, there has been a few reports of the MK5HD's with tracking issues. While I likely will eventually own a MK5HD to give them a try, for now I will not trade the reliability and consistency of a NightForce. I have not looked through a MK5HD, or even felt one for that matter, but I am willing to sacrifice a slight decrease in optical quality for the reliability a NightForce. Not to knock Leupold and the MK5HD, because besides the few reports out there, they are solid scopes.

Last edited:
Absolutely love my NX8 4-32x50 SFP. As others have said above, there has been a few reports of the MK5HD's with tracking issues. While I likely will eventually own a MK5HD to give them a try, for now I will not trade the reliability and consistency of a NightForce. I have not looked through a MK5HD, or even felt one for that matter, but I am willing to sacrifice a slight decrease in optical quality for the reliability a NightForce. Not to knock Leupold and the MK5HD, because besides the few reports out there, they are solid scopes.
The little bit that Ive looked through them both (granted this is only in store so probably means nothing) I couldnt tell any difference in glass.
I tried looking at things in shadows on other end of store (Cabelas, so maybe 100 yards tops) and they both seemed to pick up fine details pretty good. Like I said pretty meaningless comparison, but when looking through less quality scopes I can see the difference immediately, but the NX8 2.5-20 and Mk5 3.6-18 I couldnt tell any difference except the eye relief on the NX8 is definitely shorter.
Now when I looked through the MK5 5-25 with the 56mm objective, that was quite a difference. It was better than both the others as far as brightness goes but I do not want a scope that big on this rifle.