NX8 vs Maven RS.5 vs Mark 5HD

timmay

Considering one of these for a hunting scope on a lightweight 308.
Shooting deer/elk no more than 500 yards and target maybe out to 1000 at the most.

Mk5 HD 3.6-18x44
NX8 2.5-20X50
RS.5 4-24X50

I could go FFP as long as the reticle is useful on low power. the Mark 5 comes only FFP the NX8 either ffp/sfp and the Maven RS.5 SFP only

Ive looked through the NX8 and Mark 5 but never held a Maven. I like both but lean slightly more to the Mk5 except the reticle I prefer (PR-1 Mil) seams to get pretty tiny on low power and Leupold wants way too much extra for illumination.

Both NX8 and Maven come illuminated. Maven has the center dot illumination which I like, NX8 only has center dot illumination on the SFP F2 mil reticle, which Id be fine with. Also like the Mil-C reticle in FFP

Dont know much about the Maven other than it gets great reviews

There is always a war between people when asking about the NX8 vs MK5. Seems like these two groups want to bash the other.
I just want unbiased opinions

You mentioned light weight rifle in your post. This seems to be the sticky point when choosing a scope for a number of people wanting to stay light weight. The scopes you referenced are within 3 ozs of each other, so it is probably not that big of a deal.

Shooting deer/elk no more than 500 yards and target maybe out to 1000 at the most.

Mk5 HD 3.6-18x44
NX8 2.5-20X50
RS.5 4-24X50

I could go FFP as long as the reticle is useful on low power. the Mark 5 comes only FFP the NX8 either ffp/sfp and the Maven RS.5 SFP only

Ive looked through the NX8 and Mark 5 but never held a Maven. I like both but lean slightly more to the Mk5 except the reticle I prefer (PR-1 Mil) seams to get pretty tiny on low power and Leupold wants way too much extra for illumination.

Both NX8 and Maven come illuminated. Maven has the center dot illumination which I like, NX8 only has center dot illumination on the SFP F2 mil reticle, which Id be fine with. Also like the Mil-C reticle in FFP

There is always a war between people when asking about the NX8 vs MK5. Seems like these two groups want to bash the other.
My deciding factor between the NX8 vs MK5 would be the tube diameter difference. One is standard 30mm vs 35mm tube diameter, which means scope ring choice for the 35mm maybe limited.

You mentioned light weight rifle in your post. This seems to be the sticky point when choosing a scope for a number of people wanting to stay light weight. The scopes you referenced are within 3 ozs of each other, so it is probably not that big of a deal.
trying to keep it under 30oz and no more than $2k shipped
Only thing Im worried about with the Mark 5 is if the reticle will be useless without illumination on low power otherwise I love the scope.
Some say the NX8 has a tight eyebox, others say its fine. I couldnt really tell when handling it in the store, also really liked this scope

I havent heard much on the Maven but the little Ive seen is all very favorable. The reticle is kind of weird but I could definitely get used to it.

I own all three. I can send you pictures of them all together for size comparison if you would like? My absolute favorite of the three is the Mark5. Glass is the best. Turrets are the best. Fit and finish IMO are the best. I own one Maven, 2 NX8 4-32 and 3 or 4 Mark 5's. Never an issue with any of them. The Mark 5 is by far the easiest to get behind as well. NX8 definitely has tight eye box. And again in my opinion, it has the worst glass of the three. I also feel that the Mark5 for being a FFP is one of the only ones I've ever owned where the reticle is still very much usable on the lowest power. The maven is definitely nice. But if I were to pick in order, it would be Leupold, night force, maven

I own all three. I can send you pictures of them all together for size comparison if you would like? My absolute favorite of the three is the Mark5. Glass is the best. Turrets are the best. Fit and finish IMO are the best. I own one Maven, 2 NX8 4-32 and 3 or 4 Mark 5's. Never an issue with any of them. The Mark 5 is by far the easiest to get behind as well. NX8 definitely has tight eye box. And again in my opinion, it has the worst glass of the three. I also feel that the Mark5 for being a FFP is one of the only ones I've ever owned where the reticle is still very much usable on the lowest power. The maven is definitely nice. But if I were to pick in order, it would be Leupold, night force, maven
Thanks for the reply!
As far as SFP reticles go, have you compared the trijicon credo/tenmile?
I'll probably go with the MK5 3.6-18 in the pr1 mil but still considering a SFP.
Euro has some killer deals on the trijicon SFP scopes

I didn't ask the question, but have been looking at the same comparison. Thanks so much for the informative review! Do you have any experience with the NX8 2.5-20? I currently have a NX8 4-32 sfp, but was considering a lighter/smaller scope for a "lighter" 28 Nosler custom build. Any info would be great!

I would suggest that you go listen to Randy Selby's youtube video on rifle scopes for lightweight guns. If you are only going to shoot 500 yards or less, you don't need a 30 oz scope costing $2,000+ unless your ego says yes. Selby suggest a Leupold Freedom scope weighing 16oz. I'm inclined to agree if you are going to shoot less than 500 yards and be hiking in the mountains. Just my opinion.

I would suggest that you go listen to Randy Selby's youtube video on rifle scopes for lightweight guns. If you are only going to shoot 500 yards or less, you don't need a 30 oz scope costing $2,000+ unless your ego says yes. Selby suggest a Leupold Freedom scope weighing 16oz. I'm inclined to agree if you are going to shoot less than 500 yards and be hiking in the mountains. Just my opinion.
I get that and have thought about it. But I also want a scope that can take a beating and not be losing its zero or falling apart.

If all I was doing was carrying my rifle in a padded case to the range and sitting on a bench, then I wouldnt be looking for a scope like these and would do exactly as you suggested.

I own sub $500 scopes and dont think any of them would stand up to abuse and continue tracking properly except for an old SWFA 10X42 I have that is bombproof.
I have a Vortex Diamondback tactical that is actually a great scope for only $350 bucks but I know that scope wouldnt last on a long term hunting rifle trekking in the AZ mountains with some accidental drops.

Id rather spend the extra money and have a scope I know I can absolutely depend on at any time.

Theres probably a reason the military and police arent using Leupold freedoms or Vortex diamondbacks.

Last edited:

Mk5 HD 3.6-18x44
NX8 2.5-20X50
RS.5 4-24X50

I have owned 3 NX8's, a 2.5-20 FFP, 2.5-20 SFP, and a 4-32 SFP. I also currently own three MK5hd's, all 3.6-18, one non illuminated and two illuminated, all TMR reticles. The Leupold MK5 is a better scope in my opinion. Better turrets (locking elevation and covered windage are huge in my book) , better glass, better illumination both in how it's controlled and how it looks, and a cleaner reticle. I keep my non illuminated MK5 on 5-6 power when hunting and the reticle is plenty bold enough for quick shots in a cluttered background. I know there's information out there about the MK5 loosing zero, I've never experienced this with my three or any of the others I've been around. I have no experience whatsoever with Maven. Keep an eye out on the forum for a used illuminated MK5, they show up from time to time at under 2k.

I've used 2x7's & 8's for a very long time with a duplex's. For 500yds and under it works just fine. Learn to use the crosshairs and the vertical post to elevate to make that shot. Example I was using a 25/06 with 120gr SPBT bullets. At 300yds while use a 2.75" zero @ 100yds, I would just hold the cross dead on. At 400yds I would raise the crosshairs to the top of it's back. At 500yds, I would hold the point of the heavy vertical post transforming from the normal crosshairs at the top of it's back. I also used the duplex to determine the range of the animal by how the animal fit inside the duplex at different ranges. quick and easy. Now I never step up to determine ranges on a elk. I do have a fancy scope now with all the bells and whistles. That's only because I am reaching out farther than 500yds and smaller animals.