Scope choice

HUNTER-1

Scope choice
Got a 300 win mag custom being built by Mr. Dan Glover. It's a lightweight build with specs listed below:

Lone peak titanium action
Proof carbon sendero barrel (24 inch)
Mesa altitude stock (carbon)
Trigger tech diamond
Titanium brake

Having a tough time deciding on a scope. Was originally thinking NF NX8 4-32x50 but I don't really want a FFP scope due to hearing about visibility issues w the reticle in dark timber on the low end of the magnification range. Havnt totally excluded it, just looking at all my options. Specifically, thinking hard about a Zeiss V6 in 3-18x50 or the Leupold mk5 in 3.6-18. Anyone have experience with all 3 of these models or other recommendations for a scope with this type of build? Repeatability/tracking and low light performance are important to me.

Scope choice
Got a 300 win mag custom being built by Mr. Dan Glover. It's a lightweight build with specs listed below:

Trigger tech diamond
Titanium brake

Having a tough time deciding on a scope. Was originally thinking NF NX8 4-32x50 but I don't really want a FFP scope due to hearing about visibility issues w the reticle in dark timber on the low end of the magnification range. Havnt totally excluded it, just looking at all my options. Specifically, thinking hard about a Zeiss V6 in 3-18x50 or the Leupold mk5 in 3.6-18. Anyone have experience with all 3 of these models or other recommendations for a scope with this type of build? Repeatability/tracking and low light performance are important to me.
The nightforce has an illuminated reticle, which when turned on looks like a little illuminated duplex for the low light, close shots that you describe.

I was told by Nightforce that the SFP NX8 should be out in the first quarter of next year. Dad won't own a FFP for the exact reason you stated. Quote... "Why should I have to light up my cross hairs just so all these guys can pretend to measure things in their scope? What exactly are all these people pretending to measure?"

If you hunt out-of-state, make sure you check the state regs before using IR, for several like CO do not allow illuminated.
In Colorado it is OK for the reticle to be illuminated when hunting big game but there can be no shooter visible light emitted from the scope. IE no laser pointers or infrared etc.

Darrell

I was told by Nightforce that the SFP NX8 should be out in the first quarter of next year. Dad won't own a FFP for the exact reason you stated. Quote... "Why should I have to light up my cross hairs just so all these guys can pretend to measure things in their scope? What exactly are all these people pretending to measure?"
I agree. IMO FFP is an old technology that went the way of the dinosaur when laser rangefinders came out.

Scope choice

Trigger tech diamond
Titanium brake

Good Morning,
Just a suggestion, but I would look into vortex optics. My reason is due to the warranty that comes with them. From a past experience I used another brand of scope while hunting out west and fell on a mountain and damaged my scope. Fortunately I had another firearm for a backup. With that said I had to pay to get my optics repaired. Vortex would have your back. If you contacted them immediately I would think that they would take care of you in a situation like that. I personally know someone that had a similar situation and owned a vortex and contacted them. They sent him to a nearest dealer and left his scope there and they gave him a new one and he continued on. Again just a suggestion.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.