Scope choice

Yeah. If you stay on this site and listen to the advice....prepare to lighten your wallet!
I've noticed that... apparently folks here either have waaaay less hobbies and stuff or make a lot more money than I do. Lol.

I've grown up around firearms and hunted all my life and come from a police home, I thought I was fairly well rounded. But this is a segment I realize I'm but an mouth breather too!

If you aren't sold on SFP Bushnell HDMR / ERS. So many good options out there but I have always been super impressed with the Bushnell for the money. SWFA SS HD has really good glass for in that price range also. Actually HDMR and SS HD are a bit less money that the NXS.

I love them due to the fact I can shoot and have my wind/elevation holds at ANY magnification. My 5-30 for example , rarely is it ever above10-12 while hunting but the high X eliminated my need for a spotting scope while in Colorado this year.... and before anyone jumps on me for using a rifle to spot... I was glassing with BINOCULARS, and would transition to rifle for a closer look.

What's your budget? There are options at every price point in either sfp and ffp in the lower price points and some in the lower 2k price point but not many.
If you want the brightest hunting scope made the T96 fro S&B comes in either ffp or sfp
Lightweight LEO Ziess Swaro all have sub 24oz products. A 40's objective is lighter but you lose resolution all things being equal to a larger obj lense. Might not see a horn or the correct animal at distance with light fading or in a shadow at distance.
March is another that offers a 42mm and larger lighter scopes with 8 or 10x erectors depending on ffp or sfp.
If it's a sitting up rifle a ffp will have no impact shift throughout the magnification range if you have to shoot at a different mag setting from sight in. A sfp will have shift due to the magnifier lense being in front of the reticle. Might be as small as 1/4 moa from bottom to top might be alot more depending on the the amount of mag change and tolerance of the product. It needs to be shot and recorded. In my nighforce it is 1/4 up and 1moa left from 3 to 15 and the same from 4.5 to 14 on the other rifle. It's consistent and repeatable

Yeah, that'd probably be the time. But if it's a human I saw through the binocs, I wouldn't be taking a peek through the rifles scope at them.

T3ninja,

Isn't this where some one posts, "You point your rifle at me I will kick your butt,"?

They don't get it that you used your binoculars first.

Get a Swaro X5 and be done wondering if you could get a better scope.
Yes they're spendy and I'm no rich guy but best money I ever spent on hunting equipment.
Big bucks don't come out till the last couple minutes of legal shooting light and when other scopes I own can't even make out that there is an animal there my X5 sees them no problem.
I build custom hunting rifles and tell people all the time when asked to spend their money on good glass not fancy rifles.

The Optika6 3-18 line has great low light features. Available in FFP or SFP, your choice. I loaned my rifle to a young man whose rifle/scope combo wouldn't hold zero and he managed to take his first buck. He watched it for 30 min before legal shooting time with his MeoStar binos. Needless to say, he is now going to junk his package deal rifle scope for an Optika6. Great light transmission, clarity, reliability, illumination, and a great price.

IMG_5036.jpeg

I have a US Optics B-25 with a IGR reticule. So easy! 1 click = 1/4 inch at 100 yards
So 4 clicks are 1.000 inches at 100 yards..NOT 1.047 at 100 yards.
I think they are pretty nice scopes I like mine as much as my ATACR.?

KY., Dang nice optic, $3K plus though. You do get what you pay for, I just like to feel that I am getting more than I paid for with my scope.

Sorry but I disagree. High end optics cost more for a lot of reasons! Better components
are just one part of the whole picture. I've been around long enough to be very skeptical of "Just as Good" "Better deal for the money" claims! Having seen with my own eyes that the Cream really does come to the top! Buy a good one and be done with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.